Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Friday, September 9, 2011

Has She Really Repented, or Did She Skip a Step?

Dear Bro Jo,

A few months ago, I was finally able to honestly say to myself that I would never cut myself again. I felt like I had resolved my problem with myself and the lord and been completely forgiven by both.

After repenting, it was as if someone else had done those things, not me. I could no longer feel that sin on my conscience. But after reading some of the things on your blog, I feel like I "skipped a step" in the repentance process by not talking to my bishop.

My parents never knew, my bishop never knew. I only ever told one friend about it. So even though I was completely sure that it was over, I'm wondering if I should see my bishop about it. Should I? You always tell people to see their bishops, so I'm wondering if I should even though it's over.

- Conflicted and Confused


P.S.- Are there any sins that absolutely everyone needs to see their bishop about? I know you hate "listing" sins, but are there some that, just by their natures, need to be told to the bishop no matter how much you've repented on your own?




Dear Conflicted,

The rule of thumb is that you should talk to your Bishop if you need help repenting or the sin is something that might call your worthiness into question. If you're ever not sure, I say error on the side of having the conversation.

It sounds to me like you have everything resolved. If you feel you need to talk to your Bishop, then do.

And, by the way . . . I'm very proud of you.

- Bro Jo

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been through this. Cutting can be an addictive behavior and it truly is hard to stop- good job! That is soo great! I never talked to my bishop about it, though when I was ready to stop and realized I needed help for depression I did tell my mom. If you're still feeling unsettled about it, I would say to talk to your bishop. You may not need to for the sake of confessing, but maybe the Lord will tell him something to say to put your mind and heart at rest. Remember that bishops can be great friends!

Anonymous said...

bro jo, you say call your worthiness into question. your worthiness to do what? Go to the temple? otherwise what do you mean?

Bro Jo said...

Sorry . . . I thought that was obvious; thank you for the opportunity to clarify.

Your worthiness to enter the Temple.

Your worthiness to take the Sacrament.

Your worthiness to return to live with Heavenly Father in the Celestial Kingdom in the fullness of His Glory.

Your worthiness to "always have His Spirit to be with you".

- Bro Jo