Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Did Bro Jo Say That Girls Shouldn't Wear Dresses or Skirts to School?

Dear Bro Jo,

I was reading one of your past posts, and you said that girls shouldn't wear skirts/dresses to school.

Why not?

- Curious




Dear Curious,

Could you direct me to that post?

I don't remember writing that ... not that I have a perfect memory ... but both of the Jo Girls wear skirts and dresses to school from time to time, and I don't see that as a problem.

And I can't think of a time in my life when I thought it was a concern.

- Bro Jo




Dear Bro Jo,

Sorry that's it's been a few days. I got a little busy.

It was "Getting a Boy to Notice" from 2009. You specifically said, "No Church Dresses at school," so I guess that could mean something different from not wearing skirts/dresses. I don't know. I was just interested.

On another note, I know you say that girls shouldn't call guys, and I completely agree with that, but what about emailing, chatting, or texting? Is it a guy's job to initiate all the contact? And you sometimes recommend that a girl write a letter to a guy, but at what age is that appropriate?

I don't have anyone specific in mind, these are just general questions. I'm trying to be prepared.

Thanks,

- Curious




Dear Curious,

Thank you for the opportunity to clarify!

What I said, to a 6th grader, was that she should not wear Church dresses at school because it was too fancy, unless the occasion (like a concert or play) warranted it.  Over all the tone was that you can get positive attention by dressing nicely.

Sister Jo points out (and I emphatically agree) that a girl gives away much of her allure when she does most or all of the initial contacting.  This does not mean that she should sit around doing nothing.

I don't see much advantage or purpose in girls writing letters to non-relative guys until they're at least 17 or 18.

- Bro Jo

No comments: