Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Monday, May 7, 2018

How to Not Get Led On

Dear Bro Jo,

So, I'm an RM guy going to college.

There have been two times in my life where I've been pretty sure a girl liked me. One was my freshman year.  All the normal things: we talked alone for a few hours the first time we met (in a public place, don't worry), she texted first, we did lots of things together, and she was pretty flirtatious.  Turns out, she had a boyfriend this whole time.

Pretty recently, a different girl was dropping some serious hints: playful pushes, sassy smirks, the whole shebang.  One day, she mentioned that she was single.  Three times.  She mentioned that she wanted a certain guy to ask her on a date.  So I take the "hint" and ask her on a date.  She says no.

In both situations, I told friends (both guys and girls) about the things she said/did (honestly, no embellishing) and was told, "Yeah, she wants you to ask her on a date!"

Am I just forever doomed to being led on?  Am I doing something wrong?

- Name Withheld




Dear NW,

I don't think you're doomed.  I just think you happened to have had two bad experiences in a row.

Might happen . . . I don't know . . . a thousand more times . . .

Any clear thinking individual would think these girls were interested in you.  I have no idea what their deal was.

But I promise you that there are lots of girls out there that are not like this.

Might take a few more misses to find one . . . but it's worth it!

- Bro Jo

No comments: