Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Monday, March 26, 2012

Starting a Conversation

Dear Bro Jo,

Taking your advice, I am no longer concentrating on one guy. So I have a question about interacting with guys.

How do you get guys to be interested enough in you to go beyond a casual conversation? And as a cheerful, talkative conversational person, how do I avoid monopolizing the conversation, without going to the other extreme and leaving the encounter with knowledge about the guy, and he knows next to nothing about me?

Thanks, as always,

J.




Dear J,

The answer to all three of your questions is the same: listen.

By listening you'll show a guy you're interested in him, and it's not all about you. And, as Sister Jo says so often and so strongly, a girl's position is much better if she's left some things to mystery; not a good idea to tell too much.

- Bro Jo


Bro Jo,

Thanks a ton. That's great. But I guess my real question is, how to get into a conversation where listening is an option?

Here's my scenario:

I'm at institute; an intriguing RM is new to the class. He introduced himself to the class during the lesson, and we meet at the refreshment table afterwards. What do I say to start a conversation and show him I'm interested? How do I get him to talk about himself so I can listen and learn about him? How do I get him to keep talking, and not feel rude that I'm keeping him from meeting other people?

J.



Dear J,

Seriously?

You go up to him and say "Hi, my name is _____" and when he tells you his name ask him something about himself.

Listen to what he says, and then ask an elaborating question. If one doesn't come to mind, then ask about something else.

It's really very easy. (Check out last Monday's Post: "Dateless at BYU")

- Bro Jo

No comments: