Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Monday, August 6, 2012

She's Ignoring Him

Hi Bro Jo,

I am 15 and a half, and need some advice regarding a girl from a neighboring ward.

We met at a couple of dances last year, and I saw her on Facebook and added her as a friend. We talked on Facebook all summer pretty often, about every other day.

We saw each other at youth conference, it went smoothly, and we kept talking then one day in August, just as school started back, she abruptly stopped talking to me.

I saw her again at a dance in October, and we danced and talked, but all she said was she hadn't had time to be on Facebook. Which is true, she updates her status about only once every two months now, whereas it was almost every day.

Anyway, the few times she does get on, she never talks to me, and I won't see her again until youth conference next month. I have not seen her since October. I was thinking of saying something like, "I miss talking to you on Facebook."

Would this be a smart idea?

Because I really want to talk to her.

The only possible explanation I have is one girl from my ward who does not like me, at girls' camp last year told her I wanted to marry her (which I totally never said), but she talked to me for months after that anyway.

Thanks for your help!

- Name Withheld




Dear NW,

Maybe she's just matured enough to realize that she'd like to talk to a person instead of a computer.

Make sense, right? I mean, after all, she's nice in person, and she clearly told you she doesn't have much time for Facebook.

You should do the same.

Be a talker, not a stalker.

Oh, and at 15 1/2, my friend, you need to lighten up. I believe you when you say you never said you wanted to marry her, but you need to back that up by realizing she's not the only girl in the tri-ward area.

Six months from now you'll be old enough to start going on Casual Group Dates. When you get there, date all the girls, not just that "one special girl" you have your heart set on.

You can date her too, when you're 16 (Casual Group Dates!) but don't make it exclusive.

Have fun!

- Bro Jo

No comments: