Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Friday, March 4, 2016

Getting Him to Ask You to Prom . . . Again

Dear Bro Jo!

I did look at the article on your site about "Getting the Guy to Ask you to Prom" but my situation is a little different.

I am a sophomore and he is a senior and last year at the Strike for our musical he was planning on asking the girl who was his love interest in the musical to prom but later that day he found out she had a date so I went up to him and said:

     "If you need a date you know I got you!

                  1) I am a really fun dancer.

                  2) I will laugh at everything you say, and

                  3) we would look great together!"

and he asked me!


At the time I thought he was gorgeous, but this year I actually really really really am in LIKE with him a lot.

I want him to ask me so much it hurts!

And I don't want like a relationship with him but prom would be so much fun.

We have gone on 2 group hang outs in the past month and are in the musical together this year.

He won the Best Looking Senior Superlative so I'm sure a lot of girls like him.

I know this sounds complicated but he is just that great.

Please give me any advice on how I could get him to ask me again....I want it more than anything.

Thank you~

- LB




Dear LB.

What you did last time worked great; there's no reason to think something like that might not work again . . .

But I've got to tell you, I like to see teens mix it up a little, so if it were up to me I'd like to see you go to prom with someone different.

And don't tell me you don't want "a relationship" with him . . . I'm old . . . not dumb.

Anyway, as I said, I think you should relax and see who else asks . . . AND I think there's some value in you acting a little more coy, a little more "worth extra effort" this year . . . but a well placed hint or two (perhaps even a friend shilling for you; planting the seed by asking him if he's going to ask you again) would work.

Just don't get too bummed if he wants to go with someone else.

Go with another guy and have a great time!

- Bro Jo

PS:  Not that you asked, but IMHO unless you were 16 as a Freshman last year you were too young to be going to prom.  The Prophets have been Very Clear about not dating until we're 16, and school dances should be no exception.  Even formal ones.  I hope you're old enough this year.

No comments: