Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

When You're the "Other" Sister

Dear Bro Jo,

Hi Bro Jo!

So I’m stuck in a proverbial rut. I'm stuck in the 'Other sister' Zone (so much so that I live there and am practically the President) and until recent years have been referred to as (insert older sister's name)'s younger sister.

I'm kind of the weird one that makes people laugh but when they've finished laughing I just get put back in the corner and turn to my older (much prettier) sister.

My dad says that I can be quite intimidating and I want to know what guys are intimidated by and what can I do to change that.

My sister is a couple years older than I am and is engaged, yet guys still flock to her and would cut off their right and left arms to be with her and I well....have never been asked out...let alone kissed...

She is more fun to be around and I enjoy having fun too but sometimes I’m seen as the fun police as I’m a stickler for the rules as I know the limits and bounds and am not willing to toy with them.

I've always been the mature one with a level head on my shoulders.

Some people only see that and think that I’m super uptight ...Is this part of the reason?

 ...Help?

- The Other Sister




Dear Sister,

I'm not certain how old you are, and that might be important.

But I think the best way to get out of this rut is for you to make your own path.

That may mean that you need your own friends.

I don't think you need to change who you are, but I do think you could benefit from being more positive. For example: rather than be jealous of your sister, think of how lucky you are to have a sister that others admire so much. Rather than compete with her (after all, she's going to be off the market soon, anyway) ask her for advice on how to get dates and get noticed by boys (she must have something figured out, right?), There's nothing wrong with being level-headed, making good decisions, and having high standards, but in general people are attracted to those with similar interests, and are positive and fun.

Be Happy,

Be Friendly, stop hiding in the corner, and I bet you'll see dates happen.

And, of course, you can always check out:

  Bro Jo's "HOW a GIRL CAN GET a GUY to ASK HER on a DATE"

- Bro Jo




Dear Bro. Jo

Both my sister and I are in YSA.

Thanks for the advice!

Love reading your blog (and now, especially the dating tips).

I'll do my best to up the happy, friendly, positive me (miracles happen every day right?)

- Breaking Out of the Corner




Dear Breaking,

Every Day.

Cheers,

- Bro Jo

No comments: