Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Monday, July 18, 2016

Feeling the Spirit Again - Part 2

Dear Bro Jo,

Thanks for the quick response.

All yesterday evening, I was praying and repenting.

I’m just trying to forgive myself right now because if I don’t I know I’ll end up just messing myself up even more. Why is it so hard to forgive myself?

I don’t think I can go to the Bishop…I don’t even know what I would say to him.

I’m scared of what he might think of me.

I haven’t talked to my parents about it either because I don’t think I can stand to see what would be on their faces—totally disappointment.

My older sister is leaving on her mission soon…I feel as though I could talk to her but I honestly don’t want to burden her with this.

I know Heavenly Father is always there for me, I can feel his love and I’m going to continue repenting not just through prayer, but through actions.

I put myself between a rock and a hard place here.

I must admit, I’ve had thoughts before that it’d be easy to do stuff like this and just not think about it much.

This pain I’ve been feeling is something I don’t want to go through again.

This guy and I are both attending a drama camp that’s a week long during the summer…and I know that that’s not going to end well if I don’t get myself out of this situation. 

It all just really hurts…because I honestly really care for this guy.

Even after all this.

- Feeling Alone




Dear Feeling,

This is an amazing moment in your life!

You've grown up a member of the Church, but have yet to gain a testimony of repentance and the love the Savior has for each of us.

While I would never encourage anyone to do something that requires repentance, we all are imperfect and have need of the Savior and the Atonement.

It's okay that you're not sure what to say to the Bishop.

The fear you feel about what he might think is, as you know, something that Satan is using to keep you feeling guilty and unworthy, keeping you from talking to him.

At this point I don't think you need to tell your parents.

If you want to, I think that's a good thing. But repentance is between us and the Lord, with priesthood authority occasionally needed to help us.

Parents can help, too. But they don't always have to.

Your Bishop can help you know what to do.

You need to realize, little sister, that these people (your sister, your parents, the Bishop, the Savior) that are in your life who can help you feel good again aren't going to feel burdened with your need for help, they're going to feel joy that you want help and are trying to make things right . . . because they love you.

One more thing as I wear my "dad" hat . . . if you can't control yourself around this boy, and he can't be trusted (which, frankly, I don't) then I don't think drama camp is in your best long-term interest. 

Best go talk to the Bishop right away.

- Bro Jo

No comments: