Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Friday, August 21, 2009

Nothing to Wait for

Dear Bro Jo,

The guy that I like is graduated this year and I am sophomore. I am athletic trainer so I have to work with him. He was really nice every time he saw me: he told me "hi" but sometimes I didn't look at him and I think he got mad about it.

I don't know. He was a senior quarterback football player(with scholarship for that) and basketball player (the normal one just ignores you and avoid you)and when I was going back to my country, he asked me why; then 3 months latter he asked me again and asked me if I was going to go to high school here...

You know he showed me that he cares but the problem is and he is the cutest one on the senior team! There are a bunch of cheerleaders that he can be interested in and I was a freshman. My friends tell me that he is out of my league but I really do like him and I am not sure if he likes me back.

Next year he is going on a mission and I want to wait for him. I KNOW WHICH UNIVERSITY HE'S GONNA BE SO I WAS THINKING . . .

Is age is important here??? How do I know if this guy likes me back???? Should I tell him??

Thanks for all, your fan

(name withheld)


Dear Fan,

In High School the age difference IS important, a little. At that point in life 14 and 18 are very far apart . . .

But that will change in a few years. Twenty-one and twenty five aren’t far apart at all, nor for that matter are nineteen and twenty-three . . .

How he looks isn’t an issue, though. There are so many more things that are important when we’re looking for that Long Term Relationship.

But you’re not there yet.

Not even close.

A sophomore girl in High School should put Adult Men (which he is) out of their minds, and visa versa. At this point neither of you should even consider dating each other.

So, “No”, you absolutely should not tell him that you like him.

Nor should you “wait”.

Not just because this falls under my ever-controversial “Don’t Wait for Missionaries” policy but, on top of that, you don’t even have a Relationship to “wait” for! Holy Heck in a bucket! When this guy comes back from the mission you’ll STILL be in High School!

Date guys your own age.

Mix it up.

Keep it Casual.

(see Bro Jo’s DATING RULES for TEENS)

I’m sure there are lots of boys out there to date.

- Bro Jo

No comments: