Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Monday, August 31, 2009

When He Comes Home and Won't Date You

Dear Bro Jo,

Let me start off by saying that it's so nice that the youth of the Church finally have a place where they can get straightforward, good counsel without feeling like they're being lectured! You give a lot of great advice, some of which I have put to good use already, but I'm still struggling with one thing:

A couple of years ago, I met a missionary who was serving in my area. Short version: he made it very clear he was interested in me, and I eventually began to feel the same way about him. We got to be great friends (while my parents and his companion were in the room, don't worry!), but I made sure he knew I would have nothing to do with him until he was finished with his mission. When he was getting ready to go home, he told me that he wanted to date me when he was finished. I know I probably should have been a better example, but what's done is done, right?

Anyway, he went home, we exchanged e-mail addresses, added each other on Facebook, he even invited me to take a trip to meet his parents! In our e-mails, I would tell him how my day was, what happened at work, ask him how it was to be home and other questions, but when he wrote back, he said almost nothing. It was really frustrating, so I asked him why his e-mails were so short, and he said he was just better at having a conversation if it was on messenger or over the phone. So I tried to get online at the same time he would so we could talk. But even then, it was so difficult to try to converse with him!

So I told him to call me instead. There was a period of about a week when he would tell me "I'm going to call you tonight." He told me this every day, and each day, no call. I tried a few of your "ways to get a guy to call" or whatever, but to no avail. I finally just asked him if I was supposed to call him, and he said no, that he just forgets really easily.

Should I be worried that he is so forgetful? That he can't even set aside time for me for a simple phone call? The way he used to act toward me made me feel so good, and I thought I was in love with him, but now I feel like he can't even give me the time of day.

I understand that life after a mission can be a difficult transition, but he's been home for months now, and he's told me he hangs out with his friends a lot, so I think he's had plenty of time to get used to it.

Am I being too harsh on him? I've tried to talk with him and settle things like an adult, but we've already established that he can't really communicate. I've waited for him for so long, and it gets harder each day to wait anymore, but I don't want it all to be for nothing!

I guess the real question I'm trying to ask is, should I just move on?

Sincerely,
Perplexed


Dear Perplexed,

Yes.

(I could end the response right there, but I suspect you’ll need a little more convincing)


Move on.

And don't look back.

Look, I hate to break it to you, because you seem really nice (a bit obsessed, but nice none-the-less), but this guy has no intention of calling you.

He may have at one time, and he may someday again, but not now.

If anything you’ve now downgraded yourself from “possible date” to “irritating pest”.

The reality is, if you were important to him, he wouldn’t “forget to call”.

Don’t worry about it; just accept it.

If you continue to wait, you’ll be doing exactly what you said: “waiting for nothing”.

Maybe he likes you, maybe he’s just scared or shy, but truthfully, if that’s the case (and I say it’s a Big IF) then the best way to wake him up to your value is to date other guys.

And when you do, do them and yourself a favor: don’t bring this ghost of a non-relationship on the dates with you. Go out. Have a good time. Chances are you’ll meet an Even Better Guy who actually appreciates you and the manhood to act upon it.

- Bro Jo

PS: Thanks for the kind words; I hope you didn't mind the lecture.

PSS: Some Missionaries latch onto girls, either at home or in the field as a Security Blanket. They ask tons of girls to write them while they're gone, or hit on girls in the area which they serve. The former is not nearly as bad as the latter, but neither is the sign of a strong, focused and confident man. I know that occasionally it works out, but I've always thought it a bit, well . . . weird and unsettling when a missionary returns after his release to date a girl he met while serving. In general I advise girls to avoid those guys like the plague.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Perplexed,
Meeting a guy while he is serving his mission is NOT a good idea.

You need to move on and find a guy that is worthy of you. This missionary guy may have been nice, but the truth of the matter is, if he was serving a mission and letting you know that he liked you, he wasn't focused on his mission.

One day, hopefully, you will find a man who is able to focus on important things at appropriate times and who is able to keep his word. If a guy can't keep his word, (either to his mission president and more importantly the Lord by abiding by the white handbook during his mission and by not calling you after his mission when he's promised) he's not the guy for you.

Keep walking! Don't look back!

-Sarah

Anna-Katarina said...

Dear Perplexed,

Were we writing the same guy? Just kidding. But in all seriousness, walk away, don't look back. I'm trying to do just that as we speak and it isn't pretty and it sure as h* isn't easy. Some of us learn the hard way, because we need to. So that we can be examples to others so that they don't have to.

All my best to you.

Allen said...

Just be glad you found out about him before your marriage and not after...

Allen said...

Just be glad you found out about him before your marriage and not after...

Anonymous said...

Thanks to everyone for their advice! I decided to move on before my letter was posted, and of course, the moment I came to that decision, he started being really sweet with me. We are actually talking now, and I feel like a total jerk for "telling him like it is," but he's taking it pretty well.
And for the record, I resent being called obsessed, Bro Jo. Haha! But thank you, you definitely reinforced all my feelings about whether or not he really cared.

-Not so perplexed anymore. :)

Bro Jo said...

That's great, but no woman should ever regret telling a man "how it is". If we don't communicate, we have no relationship.

- Bro Jo