Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Friday, April 8, 2011

Separating the Wheat from the Chaff, Girl-wise

Dear bro Jo

One of these days I should write you a letter about something good that's gone on in my life......I just wish this was one of them.

So I've had things pile up on me the past few weeks....and I've had one of my close friends move....and a lot of friends turn their backs on me because they're mad at me for going back to home schooling.

(I had my reasons though.)

Then this girl I liked kind of threw me though the ringer and ate me alive.

I'm not talking about the "I don't like you like that" little spiel (was it fun to hear? No, but I've heard it before and can shrug it off.) What hurt was the way she was attacking me about the going back to home schooling and making fun of every mistake I've made....I didn't think she was like that.

Anyways, now that I've sat here and whined. This isn't the first time I've found out a girl is fake and will tear me apart with one wrong move. Do you have any little tricks to sniff out those types of girls?

- Recovering from Stupidity



Dear Recovering,

Quantity.

Brother, I dated at least 65 different girls before I finally got a date with the future Sister Jo.

That's why we go on Casual Group Dates as teens; meet lots of different kinds of people with no serious commitments or attachments. After the mission, date everyone (my recommended RM goal is One Date a Week) until you've dated the same girl enough times (typically 3-6 dates - they can all be in the same week, btw) that you say "hey, I like this one so much I want to not date anyone else and see how this goes".

If it works out, marry her. If it doesn't, lather-rinse-repeat.

Everything that's important in life takes work.

True story.

Chin up.

- Bro Jo



Dear Bro Jo,

Thanks!

I think going from home school to high school.....That was a little fact I forgot somewhere the past semester.....Time to re-deal out the cards and start things over again!

P.S. I promise you I'll send a positive letter one off these days!

- Recovering



Dear Recovering,

You just did.

- Bro Jo

No comments: