Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Becoming a Better Man

Dear Bro Jo,
I'm just writing to you hoping you'd have some advice for me...

This doesn't need to be published, unless you really want to.

Around 6 months ago, I made the mistake of getting too involved with a girl, relationship wise.
I'm keen to start casually dating good, Church member girls, although the only reason that I want to date is to learn about myself, women, and qualities I want in a future spouse.

My main goal with dating is for me to learn what I want in a wife, as I believe choosing a wife is the biggest decision I will ever make..

I'm here to ask if you have written anything about becoming a better man - I want to use the time I have now to grow and become a great potential husband.

Also, what ages of girls should i be looking at dating? girls my age and older just want RM's . . .

Casual Dating is not as easy as I thought it would be, mainly because there are not a lot of girls age 16+ around.

Thanks,

B



Dear B,

To become a better man, in my opinion, one must work at being a better Disciple of Christ. As you read through the New Testament, look at what Christ says we will do if we love him; and notice where He says how He will know we are his friends.

Nothing worth doing in life comes easy, and that includes Casual Group Dating. Keep trying.

 As a 16-19 year old young man, I think you should focus on 16-18 year old young women.

- Bro Jo

1 comment:

JulesVerne said...

People say this all the time, but it really is true- The Book of Mormon has the answers to every single question- including becoming a better person as you have fun and interact with the opposite sex. Here's what you do, courtesy of Elder Bednar: Get a clean, fresh copy of the Book of Mormon and decide what topic to study. (Right now I'm studying becoming perfected in Christ in this life)Then get a scripture marker or pen and a quiet place and open with a prayer. Heavenly Father answers sincere prayers about becoming better VERY quickly and lovingly. From a 16-18 year old young woman, THANK YOU for setting such a great example. :)