Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Monday, August 15, 2011

Getting a Guy Ready for Casual Group Dating

Hey Bro Jo,

You, sir, are a genius. I read your blog every day. Thank you so much!

Now I have a question...

Next week is the birthday of the guy I've liked ever since I moved in at the beginning of the summer. This is important because it means he is 16 and able to date.

We've talked about dating before and he said he wasn't sure he was excited for that. We haven't talked about it recently, but he's sweet and kind and I guess what my question is: how do I help him be excited to date, and specifically, to date me?

I've read your tips on how to get a guy to ask you out, and they all seem too forward for my personality. I just want something a little bit subtler that actually gets my point across. Is there something like that I can try?

I'm pretty shy, especially when it comes to guys.

J.



Dear J,

Thanks for that, I've been trying to convince Sister Jo of my supreme intelligence for years . . .

Hasn't worked yet!


As for this guy, just talk to him. Get to know him better so he feels comfortable around you. (Remember that talking is more about Listening.) Don't become his buddy or his pal, but be the cute girl that's fun and nice to talk to. (Do you see the difference?) Use his birthday as an excuse to talk about dating a little. Make this less "you should date me" and more "so . . . now that you just turned 16, have you changed your mind about Casual Group Dates?"

If he doesn't know what CGD's are, well then . . . tell him! Explain that they're great because it's like a priest-Laurel activity, just paired up and without leaders. (Or get him a copy of "Bro Jo's Guide to Casual Group Dating" for his birthday! Or suggest to his parents that they get him one!)

And remind the other, older priests that they have a moral obligation to teach this new guy how it's done.

Have fun!

- Bro Jo

No comments: