Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Friday, June 27, 2014

Are Movies Good Dates?

Dear Bro Jo,

I had the most ridiculous date of my life yesterday.

It was a girl’s choice date, and by the end of the date we'd watched no less than four movies and it was around ten hours long.

That got me wondering:  what is your view on movies as a date activity, and in what case would a movie be appropriate?

Thanks much! 

- Name Withheld



Dear NW,

FOUR MOVIES?!?!?

That's ridiculous.

And I have to ask, was it four movies, or four videos?

Were you at the theater or at someone's house?

Did she communicate the Date Plan in advance, or were you surprised?

Was this a girl you'd dated before, or was this your first time going out with her?

To your question, I used to love the movie date. I loved going to movies (still do), and I liked that after the movie my date and I had something in common to talk about.

I have too many friends who have married someone they can't enjoy movies with because they just don't have that in common, and I think that's sad.

I'm grateful that my companion loves to see comic book movies on the big screen and historical pictures on blue ray at home.

However, there is a time in our lives when the movie theater date becomes counterproductive.

For Serious Single Daters, I recommend choosing a date where you can talk and get to know each other better, like dinner, dancing, going for a walk, or playing mini golf.

Hope that helps,

- Bro Jo 




Dear Bro Jo,

It was both.

We saw a movie at a theater and ended up at someone's house after.

Originally she'd said we were going to see Avengers but that that'd fallen through and they would surprise us.

It was my first time going on a date with her.

Thanks for the answers!

Cheers,

NW




Dear NW,

Well . . . maybe she'll go on some good dates, learn the difference and do better next time.

At the very least this experience will help you to plan better dates yourself.

Cheers,

- Bro Jo

No comments: