Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

His Girlfriend Wants to Serve a Mission - Part 1

Dear Bro Jo,

I really hope that comment was said in jest.

Or just really bitter.

My girlfriend told me a few days ago she wants to serve a mission.

She turns 20 next week.

I have mixed feelings about it.

On one hand I want her to have the great experience and blessings that come from serving.

On the other hand, I wanted to marry her next year in between semesters at BYU-I.

I've decided I'll wait if she does go, but I really just wanna marry her.

- Willing to Wait




Dear Willing,

You shouldn't wait.

It's not likely you actually WILL wait.

And, more importantly, have you told her how you feel?

Have you told her that you want to marry her in 8 months?

Have you proposed???

How can she possibly make this decision if she doesn't have all of the information?

And WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

If you've been together long enough to know you want to marry her, and you're in a Serious Relationship, there's no reason to wait.

Heck, I don't even think you should wait for June!

Marry her between semesters in JANUARY if you're lucky enough that she'll have you.

- Bro Jo

No comments: