Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Friday, April 22, 2016

What If He Doesn't Want to Serve a Mission?- Part 3 of 3

Dear Bro Jo,

Some of my expectations might not be fully realistic.

I don't think I really expect to be on fire all the time, but the scriptures do make it sound like I'm supposed to.

I know some people who act like they are.

I think the issue that I'm having is that I was on fire to share the gospel once, and I haven't been since. I'm not disregarding that experience.

I know that it's important.

I don't really know how to explain it.

I don't think I really understand what's going on myself.

There's just some brick wall, and I don't know how to get over, around, or under it.

I want to say that I've served a mission, but I don't think I want to say that I want to serve one.

So I want the results, but I don't want to do the work to get there.

The whole issue just feels rather complicated, and I don't really know how to move forward.

- NW




Dear NW,

I totally disagree with your characterization of the scriptures.

No one, not one person, including Christ, is "on fire" all the time.

Consider this: when we're trying to do something good, really good, Satan works quite hard to make it difficult for us to do that good thing.

True story.

Most couples I speak to fight on their way to the Temple.

It takes many of them years before they figure out why.

Heck, for years Sister Jo and I resolved to not speak at all as we drove to the nearest Temple (three hours away) so that we wouldn't get into petty arguments during the trip.

Even now there are times when we're quite for the first 80 miles . . . just to be safe.

Frankly I don't think the issue is complicated at all.

I think you're making it out to be.

- Bro Jo

No comments: