Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Feeling Guilty About Past Sins

Dear Bro Jo,

Hi Bro Jo!

So I have a question for you.

I got into some things about 6 years ago that I needed to repent for with my Bishop.

It took a while to repent of them but I haven't done the said things since.

I went to my Bishop again today because I am planning on going on a mission and I'm having guilty feelings of the things from before, again I haven't done these things since, but I'm feeling so guilty and inadequate about them . . .like I haven't really repented of them...

I don't know what to do about these feelings.

Any advice..?

- Worried




Dear Worried,

Yes:  Trust the Savior and the Atonement.

You repented, including having turned away from the sinful behavior.

That's it.

You're done.

Now, look, I think guilt (or rather, "remembering what we did wrong") can be a helpful and powerful thing if it reminds us not to do those things again.

Be still. The Lord is with thee.

Be not afraid.

- Bro Jo



Dear Readers,

Satan works very hard to make us feel like we're not good enough to do good things.  Don't fall for that trap!

Whenever you feel like you can't or shouldn't do the things that Heavenly Father wants you to do, those thoughts and feelings are from the adversary.

Remember that, please.

By the way . . . I'm fairly certain that this original letter writer not only served a good a faithful mission, but is now Married for Time and All Eternity.

Perhaps that will inspire . . .

- Bro Jo

No comments: