Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Monday, January 23, 2017

What If You Have Questions?

Dear bro Jo,

It's me again!

Just thought I'd touch base with you. To let you know that things between my boyfriend and I are going great :) remember I'm the one that asked where the line was? Yeah. Well we are doing great! :) going on 3 months!!

Any who, the reason I'm writing you today is for my own spiritual reasons.

My boyfriend and I were talking and I proposed the question: "if I told you that I didn't believe in the Church and wanted to leave it what would you do?"

(Not that I am planning to.)

I asked if he would break up with me and he said eventually probably yes if you weren't able to find out that it were true for yourself.

Because his goal is a temple marriage. And so is mine.

But it got me thinking... Have I found out for myself that this gospel is true?

Do I know why I follow it?

When I think about it all I can say is no...there isn't really an instance or anything that makes me say yes I know the gospel is true because ______. All I can say is it's true because it is.

I want to be able to back my statement of yes it's true up.

How do I do that?

What can I do to feel like I know without a doubt in my heart and mind this is true because________.

Help!

Sincerely,

Little Lost Sister




Dear LLS,

First of all I think it helps to know that we all have questions and doubts.  While we strive for a "perfect knowledge" such a concept is unrealistic.

Secondly, I would argue that the problem is that you're looking for lightning when what you need to see is the light that's all around you all of the time and has been for much of your life.

Statistically speaking, Angelic Visitations, Earth-shattering Revelations, and Burning Bosoms are remarkably rare.  Most people never have any of those things ever happen to them, so it's wrong to base one's faith on them.  (Consider Nephi's response to his brothers when they asked for yet another sign to be shown unto them.)

What we go on is what we know.

I have no doubt that you've felt the Spirit in your life.

And I have no doubt that you've had moments that you can look to where you can testify of the blessings that have come into your life from living the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  You've felt his love when you've repented.  You've been guided in times of trouble.  You've been comforted when you needed comfort.

We all have.

Sure life gets dark and dreary and difficult . . . often.

But even in those moments we have things to be thankful for.

Life is not about the Big Moments, but rather it's about the everyday blessings.

Instead of focusing on what we don't know, let's be grateful for what we do.

Yes, you could (and should) take Moroni's Challenge.

And yes, it's okay, even good, to have questions.

But don't ever let go of the things you already know are true.

I submit to you, LS, that you don't have Temple Marriage as a goal because of what your parents, teachers, or old guys who write advice blogs have said.  You have that goal because of how you feel when you consider how great it will be to live with your family, with your Heavenly Father, with your Eternal Companion and your Children . . . forever.

That feeling.  Right there.

That's why.

It's okay not to have all the answers, just remember to search them out in the correct sources.

- Bro Jo

1 comment:

Frank Pellett said...

Most everyone occasionally wonders if they have a "one thing" that could easily explain why the Gospel, the Church is true. It's not really the best way to hold on to a testimony, as it's a single point of failure. Even angelic visitations can be doubted and break over the years.

Some people have the gift on absolutely knowing that it's true. The rest of us build up experiences, big and small, that build up our belief. Some of those experiences may be eroded or removed over time, but the whole is strengthened by continued seeking and building being done.