Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Friday, April 13, 2018

Guys Like to Be Touched

Dear Bro Jo,

Hi Bro Jo! I commented on the "When all the girls around you seem to be waiting" post, and I decided to email you my reply.

I've read the "how a girl can get a guy to ask her on a date" post a lot haha... Though not recently.  So it was a good refresher :) I guess I just feel like I don't have the power, and that I'm not special enough. I'm *so* shy, and putting myself out even more kinda freaks me out I guess haha. I mean, I talk to guys, and I feel like I'm already putting myself out there, but I guess it's not enough.

Something my roommates have told me is that guys like it when you touch them on like the arm or knees. Is that true?

That shyness seems to keep me in a bubble, and I have the hardest time reaching out...

I don't know if you remember, but I use to email you under the "16 and confused" name. I don't remember when the last time I emailed you was . . . I do remember emailing you about being scared to spread my wings.

I'm sure glad I did!

It's been very hard, but it's been so incredibly rewarding. I just had to take that leap of faith :)

I can't wait to hear from you!

- 18 and Still Confused




Dear Confused,

Yes.  It's true.  Guys like to be touched.  You should try it.  On the arm.  Not the knee or leg.  That's a bit too forward.

Of course you're special!

I wish that once in a while you YSAs would come and tour a "family ward".  Look around at us Old People.  We're not hotties.  We're not intimidating.  We're just people.  Shy.  Awkward.  Not as funny or as fit as we think we are.  Or as we once were.  We're balding and wrinkly and our shape is not the best it's ever been.  But guess what?  Most of us are married.  To someone who we think is pretty dang special.  And who thinks we're special, too.

So stop being so down on yourself.

Chin up!

Love who you are.

The Lord does.

So should you!

Now go out there and Be Kind and Be of Service to others.

And touch the occasional dude's arm, and smile at him while you ask him sincere questions about himself.

It does wonders.

- Bro Jo

No comments: