Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Making a Move Before the Semester Ends

Dear Bro Jo,

I realize that this you probably get hundreds of these a day. However, I have had something weighing on my mind.

I am now a senior at BYU-Idaho and I have known someone all semester and progressively developed feelings for this person but never really pursued it because he was sort of like my boss for a volunteer position.

I do this quite consistently . . . not pursuing my interests . . . I am tired of this pattern!

This person also graduates at the end of July and I'm not sure how to pursue anything whether, it should be a group thing so I can feel the person out more or if it should be a one on one type ordeal.

I do however feel that I need to start being more brave so I can get more experience dating while at BYU-Idaho whether or not I do meet my future spouse or not.

- Name Withheld




Dear NW,

Sorry I'm just now seeing this message. The best way to communicate with me is by sending me an email. dearbrojo@gmail.com

Boss at a volunteer thing is NOT an obstacle.

If you don't do something, your chance may be lost forever, and that inaction may haunt you for quite a while.

If you really like him, and if he's a Good Guy, go up to him (SOON), one on one, and say: "I just want you to know that I've spent this whole semester hoping you would ask me out on a date".

Then touch his arm, look him in the eye, and wait quietly to see what he does.

If after a moment he doesn't say anything, or doesn't ask you out right then and there, say "Here's my phone number" and hand him a piece of paper with your name and number on it.

(Yes, even if he already has it.)

Then smile, touch him again, and walk away not looking back. If he doesn't call or talk to you about it in a week or so, move on.

How's that for brave?

Good luck!

And let us know how it goes!

- Bro Jo

No comments: