Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Should You Look for Your Birth Parents?

Hi Brother Jo,

I'm adopted and I have been wondering about finding out about my birth family; I would like to know about my family history.

Do you think I should try to find out about my family?


Love,

C



Dear C,

I think that's a personal choice.

I was adopted and I've never been ready to meet my birth parents. I'm no longer bitter; instead I'm grateful that they gave me up to good people who raised me with love.  I consider myself an "abortion survivor", and it saddens me quite a bit that people choose that route at all.

The people who raised me are my parents; I may never seek out my "birth parents"; it's just not important to me.

I have a good friend about my age who was also adopted; he chose to meet with his birth mom and it went well.  He liked having some questions answered, but certainly has no intention of keeping in touch or making her a new part of his family or his life.

So I think the decision needs to be up to you. My only advice is that you be careful not to hurt the feelings of the people who have sacrificed so much in raising you. They are, after all, your Real Parents, and from my understanding they are the people you'll be sealed to for Time and All Eternity.

- Bro Jo



[Readers,

US National Adoption Day is typically the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  You can find out more about adoption at LDS Family Services.

- Bro Jo
]

No comments: