Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Friday, August 7, 2015

How to Pursue a Sister Missionary - Part 1 of 3

Dear Bro Jo,

I am 32 years old and live in a European country where the Church has very few active members.

I am single.

Not only am I the only member in my family, but I am also the only member in my town.

My branch is made up of about 70 towns, but has 30 people in all (including non-baptized kids).

A couple of months ago I met a 24-year-old sister missionary from Utah who is serving in this area.

Since then I managed to see her once a week, usually while she is talking to investigators together with other sister missionaries and elders.

She will probably be transferred, sooner or later.

I don't think she was dating anyone before leaving on her mission, and I would like to get to know her better when the mission is over (she has a few months left).

Do you think it is doable?

If you were me, what would you do right now?

- Name Withheld




Dear Friend,

I think it's doable . . . but difficult.

You shouldn't really write until after she goes home . . . and then there's the issue of distance . . . and eventually one or both of you will need to locate to where the other one is . . .

That doesn't mean that it's not worth an effort, though! 

I just don't know if I'd wait around that long.

As I see it you have two (better) options:

1.  Become an excellent Member Missionary and get every single girl you can in your area to join the Church (though it only takes one, mi amigo), or . . .

2.  Move.


Move to a place where the odds are a little more in your favor.

If I were you, I'd pick one of those two options.

Soon.

Which would be more successful?

That's the one to pick.

- Bro Jo




Dear Bro Jo,

I am impressed. I didn't even sign my name, and you replied so quickly.

Thank you.

OK I won't write, or do anything else, until her mission is done.

If she is still interested, she will write first, from home. I don't see any other options.

I will be sure to leave her my contact info, somehow.

Also, I have decided to stop seeing her for the time being, in case things get complicated.

Had she not been a missionary, I would already have asked her out.

I don't rule them out, but I would like to get to know /that/ sister missionary.

Yes, it is difficult, but, as you said, it doesn't mean it is not worth an effort...

- Friend




Dear Friend,

I don't know that I'd leave everything to fate...

A short letter from you sent to her at her home might be a good idea.

Girls do like to be chased after all.

- Bro Jo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, if I were the former missionary and a guy from my mission liked me, I would definitely prefer him to say something first, because, in fact, if he were waiting for me to write first, he'd be waiting forever. I'm not someone who's going to show interest that way without any previous encouragement in the form of an actual message or letter, not just the leaving of an address. And I don't think other girls are that different from me.