Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Depression, Counseling, and Moving On

Dear Bro Jo,

I've been I guess depressed for a while for many reasons really and I can’t seem to get out of it.

- NW




Dear NW,

Depression is a very real thing, with several possible helps.

Some thoughts:

  - Have you talked with anyone about your depression?

  - Is your depression constant? Or does it seem to come in waves?

  - How do you deal with being depressed? What makes you feel better? Do you find that you do things that actually make it worse?


BTW - Sister Jo is an advocate of eating ginger when depressed. Ginger cookies. Ginger snaps. Stuff like that. She swears by it.

- Bro Jo




Dear Bro Jo,

I've mentioned it before to a couple people.

It seems to come in waves like when I go to bed and have time to think or sometimes at school I feel like breaking down and crying cuz nobody talks to me or sits with me or even really notices me.

Honestly being depressed kinda scares me.  I don't want to be like this.  This isn't who I want to be.

A lot of the time talking about my past sometimes it makes it worse but at the same time it helps.

I cry a lot like almost every night. I dont think I have ever tried ginger for it . . .

Hmm something to look into I guess, right?

- NW




Dear NW,

Absolutely.  Ginger is highly recommended.

The other thing Sister Jo recommends, VERY Strongly, is Service.

Doing good things for others Always helps us feel better about ourselves.

I'm off to bed, but I'll be up early.

Feel free to email me whenever you need.

Even if it's just to vent.

Make that appointment with your Bishop!

And remember: you're a great and valuable person!

Why?

Because Heavenly Father says you are!

Let me know how things go.

Best,

- Bro Jo




Dear Bro Jo,

I love doing service!

Thank you so much.

I’m sure you will hear from me more.

Thanks again and I will make that appointment.

Thank you,

- NW




Dear Bro Jo,

Here is my big update!

I talked to my Bishop and I am now seeing a counselor.

I think it is helping a lot!

This guy that left on his mission . . . well I kinda liked him and he was saying he loves me and that he would wait for me after he is back and I am gone.

However today I found out he emails like thousands of girls and that his number one is his girlfriend who he told me was just his friend.

I kinda expected this because he cheated on his girlfriend with me and he cheated on me with the girl he is dating now... it is a huge mess.

Anyways I am really sad and wanted to get your opinion on things.

- NW




Dear NW,

My opinion is that you're well to be rid of him.

- Bro Jo




Dear Bro Jo,

I've been trying since the first time he hurt me.

But I think going on my first real and proper date with a guy I know is great will help.

- NW





Dear NW,

Undoubtedly.

- Bro Jo




Dear Bro Jo,

Thank you!

You actually did help.

You got me re-excited for this date!

 - NW




Dear NW,

Anytime!

- Bro Jo

No comments: