Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Monday, February 22, 2016

Should She Go to College?

Bro Jo,

May I just start by saying that I love love love your blog.

I stumbled upon it when I was in a bad relationship with my ex-boyfriend and I’m so glad I found you because I have learned so much about relationships in general and dating from your blog so thank you!

So I know you mainly give dating advice but I need help with something else.

I’m almost 18 and I am in the process of deciding which college to go to.

This has been kind of tough because my parents never talked about me going to college.

Neither of them did so I am a first generation college student, or will be.

I have had some trouble on deciding where to go.

I have talked to people about my three choices, fasted and prayed, and received a priesthood blessing to help me maybe feel some kind of inspiration or prompting from the spirit as to where I need to be.

I have lived in the same house since I was born and have been going to the same school with the same people since kindergarten. I am currently in my senior year at a private school in (location withheld).

The first college I was accepted to was Old Dominion University. The good thing about this is that it’s close to home and it has my major, the bad thing is that it is not an LDS environment which is something I highly prefer, and the price isn’t really bad or good.

The second school I was accepted to was BYU. Everyone I know except my family is really pushing for me to go there. The distance from home is what’s holding me back on this one. I’ve never been so far away from home without my family before. The price for this school is probably the most affordable for me so that’s good, and they also have my major.

The last school I applied to was Southern Virginia University. They are a private LDS school here in Virginia, which is good because I’m used to being at a private school and it’s an LDS environment and its 4 hours from home and I have visited this school and I met the professor of the field I want to go in to, but the price is pretty high because it’s private.

The thing is that my parents already pay for my education since I already attend a private school, but they never thought about me going to college which is weird.

I don’t know if it's because I never really mentioned it, or if it’s because they never went themselves. I’ve prayed so hard about this and I still don’t feel like I know where to go.

I’m scared about leaving home but another part of me is so so excited to go be on my own and learn new things and meet new people and sometimes I just feel like my fear of leaving my family is keeping me from opening new doors for myself.

See I live at home with my grandmother and she is almost 80 and not in the best health and my parents have mentioned that if I go to BYU and something happens at home or something happens to me out there, they won’t be able to get to me fast enough or I won’t be able to get home fast enough.

I really need some help deciding.

Again thank you so much for reading my email and I look forward to reading your response.

- Future College Girl




Dear Future,

When you're struggling with decisions of this type it's best to go to the Lord.

This is what Fasting, Prayer and Personal Revelation are for.

My opinion?

Go to school.  

Each of the ones you've picked is a good school.  Consider visiting the campuses, talking to students and attending Church and an Institute class.

When picking a college you're also picking a home, so keep that in mind.

It's normal to be scared about new things, but never let your fears OR the fears of others keep you from doing what's right.

- Bro Jo

No comments: