Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Love at First Sight?

Dear Bro Jo,

I'm feeling crushed.

A guy will pay attention to me, flirt with me, maybe ask me for my number, and I'll fall head over heels for him.

I'll be holding on to every thread of hope I can find to prove that he really does like me until I come to the harsh realization that, although he may have thought I was cute or interesting at some point, he does not have the same feelings that I have for him.

But before that realization I'll go through a roller coaster of being on Cloud 9 when he talks to me or is nice to me and being totally crushed when he ignores me or flirts with another girl.

That just happened AGAIN and I'm SO sick of it!!!

I am 20 years old and I have never had a guy feel the same way that I've felt about him.

There's nothing wrong with my appearance, I'm fit and moderately attractive.

I feel that it might be that I get friend-zoned super fast...but why is that?

How do I avoid this miserable cycle that I put myself through and actually get a guy to like me past the first time meeting me?

- Name Withheld




Dear NW,

Don't you think going from "flirting" to "head over heels" and "Cloud 9" so fast is pretty extreme?

I mean, maybe you just need to relax and realize that flirting is just flirting and save the falling in love for someone you've actually been on several dates in a row with . . .

Maybe you're not getting friend zoned; maybe it's just the over-emphasis and drama that you're injecting into these situations that makes it seem that way.

Try reading through the things I've written on How a Girl Can Get a Boy's Attention  and How a Girl Can Get a Guy to Ask Her on a Date.

Put some of it into practice and see if that makes a difference.

Just be careful not to come on too strong.

- Bro Jo

No comments: