Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Friday, September 2, 2016

One Girl's Story - Part 5 of 5: The Follow Up

Dear Lonely Ute,

Hi!  It's Bro Jo.

Next week I'll be posting the emails you wrote me a several years ago as a series.

Putting them together tells a story, and given where your life is now I think it might be inspirational to our readers.

Hope you're well and happy!

Cheers,

- Bro Jo




Dear Bro Jo,

Hi Bro!

Tell your readers I just got married!

We met 3 years ago, and started dating a year ago.

We just moved to another state so that I could start graduate school.



[Readers, take note:  that's before any of these other emails posted this week were sent.  - Bro Jo]


We were involved in similar student groups that happened to interact a lot.

I wasn't interested in him, but he was a good friend I enjoyed seeing and hanging out with at various activities.

Fast forward almost 2 years, and both of us had just come out of very serious relationships (talking marriage) a few months previously.

He asked me out two different times, and both times I had been busy and had to decline.

A couple weeks later, I happened to have tickets to an event I didn't exactly want to go to, but I figured if I asked him, and he could go, I would use them.

He said yes and we went, had a ton of fun, and ended up making plans for the next week.

We started to get serious, but I was a little nervous about getting too attached because I was planning on attending graduate school, and I was pretty sure I would end up having to go out of state, and I didn't want to get too attached to anyone and have to say goodbye to them once I moved.

I definitely tried to not let us get too serious the first few months, but eventually I knew I loved him and the thing I loved about our relationship was how secure it felt.

In January I flew to interview for a program I was really excited about. He had dropped me at the airport and picked me up the night I got back.

Less than a week later, I found out I had gotten in to this program, and I immediately accepted.

The next evening when he came over after school and work. We sat down and talked about what this meant for our future.

He told me he wanted to get married and move with me. He was sure that I was it, and that this is what he wanted.

I wasn't so sure.

I was still trying to process that I would be starting a grad program in the fall and that I was moving to another state. I told him I was scared (because of previous experience) and that I didn't just want to make the decision because it was what he wanted or what was the obvious next step for us.

So I went to the temple, and I prayed A LOT.

A few weeks later I had a realization that I did not want to go without him, and that he was a righteous son of God who treated me WAY better than I could ever imagine.

He loved me unconditionally, and I would be hard pressed to ever find someone as good to me as he is.

We were engaged a few weeks later, and sealed for time and all eternity about 5 months after that.

We moved to where I'll be attending Grad School 2 weeks exactly after we were married.

I am so grateful for my husband!

He is so steady and strong.

He has so much faith as well.

He uprooted his whole life to move with me, and it has been a hard adjustment for us, but I am very grateful the God put him in my life, and led us to each other in the CORRECT time for us.

Our relationship is a good indicator that God loves me.

The timing of everything in my life has all worked so well, and I know that has to mean there was divine intervention, none of this could have happened by sheer luck. 

Thank you for checking in,

- A (not so) Lonely Ute!




Dear Friend,

An excellent story!

Thank you for sharing.

Best wishes to you both.

God bless,

- Bro Jo

No comments: