Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Should She Feel Guilty Going Out with a Guy that Just Broke Off a Year-long Relationship?

Dear Bro Jo,

Who would have thought I would still be emailing you at 20!

haha! Not me!

Anyway, my dilemma is I met a guy this weekend and he's soo sweet and all that jazz and we've spoken a lot this weekend!

The problem is just broke up with his girlfriend about a month ago; it's still a bit sore for her and she's still upset but it's definitely over and they won't get back together.  So I know the guys ex-girlfriend, not very well but I know who she is and she'll know who I am because we were in the same EFY group (as counselors).

I've been thinking this morning "do I stop talking to this guy and leave it a while to settle or do I just carry on speaking to him?"

We've been talking about going out sometime this week on a date which is cool but I don't know if I want to get caught up in it?

They were together for a year so it's not like it was a little fling.  I've never really dated somebody who's got that hanging over them.  What should I do?!

Thanks,

Name Withheld




Dear NW,

Of course you keep talking to him!

And . . . worry less.

Yes, I think she'll hurt when she realizes he's moved on and is dating other people, but that's what happens after a break up.  Honestly?  I think finding out about his other dates will help her move on (not that you should be the one to tell her).

Have fun,

- Bro Jo

No comments: