Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Monday, January 8, 2018

Some of the Most Amazing Girls Don't Get Asked Out

Dear Bro Jo,

I turned 16 about six months ago and I’m sure you hear this like you know, a lot- but I’ve yet to go on a real group date/ date where the guy actually asks you out on said group date. It might not be so bad if it weren't for the fact that yes, I'm a triplet, and yes, both of my sisters go out a lot.

I never really used to notice that guys only ever showed interest in my sisters until I turned sixteen and a  few months passed without anyone asking me out or showing interest in possibly entertaining the idea of a group date.

Once again, it might not be so bad except for the fact that one of my sisters is totally identical to me. I'm only saying this because I used to think guys didn't like me because I wasn't as pretty as my other sister who's fraternal. And yes I know, I need to think better of myself and all the stuff you hear about being beautiful on the inside, but it always seemed to me that even my identical sister was about a bazillion times more pretty than I ever was. And let's face it, people don't look at you and think, "Wow, doesn't she have a fantastic personality?" right off the bat. Society sort of sucks that way.

Anyway, I guess my point is that I'm starting to wonder what the heck is wrong with me. I'm a little shy I have to admit, and I do tend to stick my foot in my mouth, although no ones ever mentioned it to me before (not even my sisters so maybe that's all in my head). I'm a writer so i really can't articulate words verbally as well as i can on paper, or at least that's how i rationalize my lack of ability to carry some conversations. (i'm not an utter failure in that department, though i actually think advice on talking to other people would help a bunch)

So I guess any advice on anything that you see fit to give advice on would be really appreciated. I'm half torn between feeling bad about myself, and feeling a little jealous over my sisters which also feels stupid because they're my best friends and it's not their fault they go out on dates a lot.

So anyway, confusing rambling aside- I'd love to hear back from you and really love your blog. :)

Thanks,

- The Sister




Dear Sister,

Sometimes some of the most wonderful young women date little or not at all in High School.   Sister Jo was one of those.  If we'd gone to the same high school I would have asked her out every chance I got!

Worked out pretty well for me that those other guys didn't!

Don’t change who you are, but do realize that being confident, outgoing and even a little flirty can often improve one's dating requests.

And if you don’t get many dates ... just realize that doesn't mean you aren't awesome!

- Bro Jo

No comments: