Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

When a Missionary is TOO Friendly - Facebook Comments

[Dear Readers,

I originally received yesterday's email many years ago so finding the post on the Facebook page would take you a very long time.  To make life a little easier for those that are interested I've posted those comments (anonymously) here below.

Best,

- Bro Jo]



KH - Creepy! It reminds me of an elder I served with that wanted to see me after he was off his mission. He stalked me during my mission. He is most certainly violating a few rules!


ZH - Sounds kind of weird to me...


RR - Missionaries always develop a tight bond with whom they teach and also who they see the light or "Jesus Christ" in someone’s life. I do think that it is going a bit over board giving someone their nametag. To me it's a token of the appreciation that each missionary has to serve the Lord because it bears the name JESUS CHRIST in capital letters as our churches logo permits and when they wear it, it is always with them. I'm not sure if it's violating a rule I mean it sounds like to me giving away your class ring and never seeing it again! But this no, is much more important. I think that you should just mail it back in a package to the mission office and return it to the missionary. That is certainly distracting while serving a mission. But at least you have admirers  ;)


AL - Agreed. Super weird. I'm sure he wanted to do something that would be meaningful, but definitely not appropriate for someone who has dedicated himself to consecrating all of his time and energy to serving the Lord. Hopefully someone will talk to him.


GW - That is pretty creepy


CS - I've had some pretty unsettling experiences with missionaries. One in particular was asking me where I'd be after he was done and if I was dating anyone and how young would be too young for me to get married. He was always staring at me creepily and would "just happen to be where I was" at odd times.

Anyway, I actually wrote a note to his companion, who was much cooler and more with it. And I was like "Since I'm not a missionary I don't know what your rules are exactly or if this is really a big deal, but this guy makes me really uncomfy and I feel like I need to dress down for church and only wear big t-shirts and stuff. Maybe I'm overreacting, but it's just the way I feel."

His companion told me it wasn't unfounded and he showed my note to his mission pres who transferred the elder immediately.

But if this guy is already getting transferred, then I don't think it's really an issue anymore. It's not like he can get sent home for that.Manage


JP - My family has always been a favorite with the elders in our ward, and we've gotten a lot of parting gifts, usually pictures; however, a name tag given to a single sister is a bit too far


LM - I think its super sweet, but definitely a little far.


LJ - If a missionary is that close to a YSA sister, even if he's not technically breaking any rules, it sounds a lot like he's violating the spirit of the law. I find it creepy and at least a little inappropriate.

No comments: