Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Friday, September 11, 2009

Fence Sitter - Letter 4 - Now What?

Letter 4


Dear Bro Jo,

I'm guessing you pray about what to say, because what you said really hit me hard. I've told a couple friends about my problem, and none of them got even close to the truth like you did.
As for why he's fat, he's told me he doesn't like to exercise (which a lot of people don't) and I know he doesn't really watch what he eats. He knows it would be good for him to lose a couple pounds, but he says he's fine with the way he is.

I don't know how I'd feel if he lost weight. I think some people (me included) define a cute person by the look of their face. So if he lost enough weight for it to affect how his face looks, I still throw my hands up in the air, because I don't know how he'd look. And I have no clue as to how to encourage him to slim down without offending him.

Talking about this more and more with you makes me think that I'm too judgemental for this guy anyways.

I would like to hope that after I'm married, I won't be as concerned about looks like I am now. That I'll be more accepting and supportive.

I hope.

Maybe I'm being unrealistic.

And you've identified my real problem, as much as I tried to hide it, that I'm worried about what others will think. Is there a way to get over my insecurities and superficiality?

Thank you so much for your advice! It helped a lot.

- Sitter


Dear Sitter,

I do pray . . . a lot.

You're a wise young woman to recognize some of the things you have, like him being happy with his shape and realizing that the two of you aren't a good (no pun intended) fit.

Your original question was about how to preserve his feelings and not lead him on any further.

Be kind, but clear.

When we men set our sites on a woman, our I.Q. points dissipate like Koolaid in a lake. You have to tell him exactly what you mean.

If we ask a girl out and she doesn't want to go, if she says she's not available, we hear "but if you keep asking incessantly I may change my mind".

The hard reality is that the two of you can never be friends. He'll always want it to be something more. Even after you're married to someone else. Every fight with your husband will give him a glimmer of hope that you might change your mind.

And, let's face it: no guy is going to be happy with his wife paling around with her ex-boyfriend.

So be nice, but firm. "You're a nice guy, and I'm sure you'll make someone a wonderful husband, but I know I'm not that someone".

You may indeed be a tad unrealistic.

I'm compelled to mention the adage "Women marry men hoping to change them, and men marry women hoping they'll never change. Both are fantastically wrong".

Ultimately I think it may just be that you've yet to fall In Love. When you do you won't care if he has oozing pustules (OK, perhaps you will, but you get my point, right?)

To get over your own insecurities is to gain a testimony of our Divine Nature and Individual Worth. Look: we all have moments of insecurity (even someone as undeniably awesome as myself), and that, with the humility that it brings, is not always a bad thing, but never for get that you are a Daughter of Our Heavenly Father, who Loves us.

Then begin to recognize the Divine Nature of others. Realize that everyone has gifts and talents and worth and ability. Seek it out. Seek out those gifts in others.

And yours too.

Lastly, and this is for everyone, being "fine" with destructive behavior (and if this guy is fat to the point of morbid obesity, that's destructive), is a Bad Sign. No different than anorexia, overeating, like any unhealthy, addictive behavior, can destroy lives and relationships.

Keep dating. Keep repenting and improving.

And never give up.

Never surrender.

Always a pleasure,

- Bro Jo

2 comments:

Rachel Bateman said...

If this boy really is the "best friend" you said he is in the first letter, you should be able to encourage him to loose weight without fear of offending him. That's what best friends do-they help each other improve, sometimes by putting the spotlight on things we would rather keep hidden. Sure, his feelings might be hurt. But you know what else best friends do? They forgive each other. If you are as close as you say, he will take your advice with sincerity-even if it stings.

If you are not really as close as *best* friends, it might be a different story though.


So I realize my husband is rare in this, but whenever my ex (just one of them, not all of them) is in the area (which is not often), Hot Stuff encourages me to spend some time with him. I consider myself lucky to have snagged such an awesome husband.

Anonymous said...

Nice Galaxy Quest quote brojo! :D