Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Questioning "Divine Nature"

Dear Brother Johnston,

I've been thinking about a lot of things lately. . .family, friends, school...Church, but most especially my individual worth. I just haven't been feeling as strong as I used to. And added the occurrence of some problems with a friend, I've been pondering about my mission in life - if there is even something left for me to do.

Given in lessons and from the counsel of Church leaders, we are told that no two people are created exactly alike; but are each unique: given their spiritual gifts and divinely appointed work to do in this life. I find hope in this and in the love of my Savior, but as things become more difficult, it's crucial to gain the testimony I need.

Brother Johnston, I respect you and I'm asking if you can be another added testimony of individual worth. To not only help me with my testimony, but to help others pondering the same questions.

Trouble-seeking



Dear Seeking,

You can lean on my testimony any time you want.

I know that you're a child of our Heavenly Father, AND I know that he loves you. I promise that the Lord has things for you to do, and remind you that things happen in his timetable, not ours.

Sometimes life is very difficult. Sometime not so much. There will be easier times ahead, and there may be more difficult times ahead. Neither you nor I know. But I do know that it always gets better, eventually, and that the joys in this life are always worth whatever trials or tribulations we go through.

Every year, particularly around Christmas, I watch "It's a Wonderful Life" - the old Jimmy Stewart / Frank Capra movie. It reminds me that each of us touches so many lives in positive ways, no matter how bad things may seem, the world is always better off for our having been in it.

You're not alone, you know. Each of us has doubts; about our value . . . about our talents . . . about our testimonies and our worth. Satan works very hard to make us feel alone and worthless.

But he's wrong.

Simply by the nature of your existence I know that you can do things better than I can - at least 2!

:)

If I knew you better I could help you figure out what those are, but I bet that deep down you know some things you're good at; some things you really enjoy.

When we despair, I think it helps to find the blessings for which we are grateful, no matter how small. Think of those, and be prayerfully thankful.

One of mine?

I'm grateful I know you.

- Bro Jo


Brother Johnston,

Thank you! I noticed I didn't put that in my last email - and you deserve a big one. Especially for your testimony.

After much prayer, thought, and help from certain other friends, things have taken a whole different perspective. The days that followed after receiving your email, it was weird - because things started happening, and I knew it was Heavenly Father's way of guiding me. 


I suppose they were always there, but my eyes and heart were truly open this time. It brought me to a whole new level of humility and testimony of God's love for His children; for, even though it was someone else who had been wronged, He still blessed me through those guided by His Spirit - and how do I know this?  Because I felt it. 

I felt it through the compassion of others, some of which who aren't even members of our faith. And I am so GRATEFUL for those selfless people who were worthy to be guided, especially when they could have ignored those inspired feelings. They made a difference and helped a person like me experience first-hand how much the Savior loves each of us. And just how strong and pure that Love is. They may not realize it, but they saved a life doing what the Savior would do.

Thank you for answering my email. I am counting my blessings, and your willingness to share your testimony is truly one of them.

Again - thank you Brother Johnston.

- Seeking



Dear Seeking,

Anytime.

- Bro Jo

No comments: