Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Friday, February 19, 2010

When Your Brother Chooses to Be Gay

Dear Bro Jo,

I love your blog and enjoy reading all the advice you give on a variety of subjects. I have written to you once before and it helped me out a lot. But now, I'm writing to you about an entire different matter.

My brother and I are the only two children so we have a good bond. He has always been helpful throughout my life whether it be on school to fashion advice. I always looked up to him as a role model. But then, a realization hit me hard.

My brother is gay. I don't know if he ever told my parents and he has never confessed it to me. But, he does not bother to hide the fact. He lives with his boyfriend and his Facebook page admits it all. I didn't realize he was gay until about 4 years ago. At the time, I had no idea how to handle it. But I realized that even though I didn't necessarily accept that he was gay, he's my brother and I love him.

Some quick (random) facts about him:
-He's 15 years older than me
-We're half-siblings, same dad, different mothers. Doesn't make him any less my brother.
-He is living quite well as a lawyer
-As far as I know, never encountered any abuse from any members of my family.

I agree completely with the Church's view on homosexuality. But now, with my own brother, I have no idea how my views on the topic should be.

He also took his name off the Church members list. I never accepted that fact either. He revealed to me that he didn't plan on telling my Dad either. (My mom isn't a member and wouldn't feel too much grief from it, which is another situation for another time).

Every time he visits, we always hang out. We go to the movies, go out to eat, go shopping, etc etc etc. But it's so weird to think that whenever I spot a good-looking guy, he's noticing him too. One time, we were eating at a restaurant and out waiter was definitely 'out-of-the-closet'. He and my brother started flirting. I did nothing but just sit there quietly and pretend to be really interested in my potatoes.

I still love my brother and he is still a role model to me. But I don't know if I could ever accept him truly for his homosexuality. I remember being about 6 and I had never been a flower girl in a wedding. He promised me that whenever he got married, I'd be the one sprinkling flowers down the isle, no matter what age. Now, I don't know, if he ever married his boyfriend, if I could even go to his wedding because of my views on the matter. I have never shown my brother any harsh feelings and could never think of shunning him. I plan to always have him be included in my life. But will my views get in the way of accepting him fully?
I have never discussed this with my parents because I still don't know if they know about him.

How can I accept my brother for who he is?

Sincerely,

Flying with the Right-Wing


Dear Flying -

Start by realizing that it's not your job to accept or reject your brother; it's your job to love him.

(It's also not your job to "out" him to your parents.  If he was in danger - and I'll admit that his life-style choice IS dangerous, but it's not as if he's a minor living at home and doing drugs - then it would be best to encourage him to speak first, then to speak up if he refused.  Likewise, you should encourage him to talk to your parents, but understand that he's an adult and needs to choose for himself.)

We don't love everything about everyone we know (as awesome as Sister Jo and I both are, I promise that we each do things that irritate the other, sometimes we irritate each other daily); we love the person, not necessarily everything they do.

But you ARE right; there is a line. At some point failure to make our opinions and feelings known can at best be seen as an endorsement of the behavior (or choice), and our acquiescence can lead to the other person hurting us and themselves.

If my child commits a crime, should I turn him in? For me the answer is "yes, but only if he's unwilling to do the right thing on his own". Is it fair to compare your brother's homosexuality with a crime? For you it may just be. Just as he has his agency, so do you.

You can't tell your brother what to do, and you probably shouldn't offer your unsolicited opinion unless he asks, or makes you feel uncomfortable.

For example, after the waiter left, it would have been OK to say "Hey, brother, that made me pretty uncomfortable." I would expect him to be defensive, perhaps even lecture you about love and acceptance; just sit and listen respectfully.

When he's done you can counter with: "Just because I love you doesn't mean that I have to like everything you do, nor does it give you the right to belittle me about how I feel. I told you how I feel, you told me how you feel, I want you to stay a part of my life, and I hope you want that, too. On this one we're just going to have to agree to disagree, but I need you to know that you're doing somethings that I feel are wrong. I tell you that because I love you, and I hope you love me enough to understand."

Hopefully he'll realize that in the same way he expects to be accepted by you for who he has chosen to be that he must, in all fairness, accept you for whom you've chosen to be.

If he doesn't, if he gives you the "all of me or none of me" ultimatum, again that's his choice. Recognize that type of intolerant bullying for what it is, and pray that he changes his mind.

But always love him.

To elaborate along those lines, Sister Jo and I have a few non-LDS relatives who have live-in relationships (the fastest way to guarantee that the relationship will end in disaster, by the way, is living together). We love them and the person they're involved with, but we don't allow non-married couples to sleep in the same room in our home. When they come to visit they either need to sleep separately or somewhere else. Our children need to see our consistency when it comes to upholding our standards. In the same regard, we never allow alcohol in our home, even if someone brings it with them for an occasion.

Our house. Our rules.

It's one of the Great and Wonderful things about having your own place.

Good luck with your brother; don't forget that he too is a Child of God, and deserves to be loved and treated as such.

- Bro Jo

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for that one, I needed to hear it. I hope that her brother will eventually make the right choice. :/

Michael said...

"Chooses" to be gay? "Life-style choice"? WOW. With all due respect and as an active, gay, celibate Latter-day Saint convert, you may want to give more thought to learning more about homosexuality. For the overwhelming number of gays and lesbians, choice has nothing to do with their orientation. It only applies to how they decide to live with their homosexuality.

With seven children, the odds are that one of your offspring may end up "choosing" to be gay.

Bro Jo said...

Michael,

Gay or straight, whom we have sex with (discounting of course abuse and assault as violent acts, not sexual ones) is always a choice.

That's called agency, and you rightly allude to it in your comment. Finding others of the same sex attractive or pleasing to look at does not make one a homosexual; sex (and other physical stuff) does.

As a good friend of mine, who is gay, taught me: to say that orientation or genetics or something else defines a person as a homosexual is to deny that individual's ability to think and chose for themselves. No person, place or thing forced him to be gay, it's how he chose to live his life.

Just as you chose to live yours celibately (which I respect, by the way).

Homosexuality is an activity, not an ethnicity. You describe it like it's a disease ("we have no choice"), which it's not.

Should one of my children choose to be gay, I will still love them . . . forever.

But, statistically speaking, I'd have to have over 1000 children for one of them to likely chose that path AND, again statistically speaking, that child would need to have had certain things happen in his (or her) life.

Just because you and I don't agree on this particular subject does not mean that I'm ignorant, my friend.

I'm always open to discourse and learning, and hope you are as well. I've responded to a few questions about this topic here on "Dear Bro Jo", and I invite you to check them out and give me your thoughts.

Your welcome to comment on them, or email me directly if you prefer.

I commend you for being active in your faith, and wish you all the best I can,


- Bro Jo

Camille said...

I have a similar situation. My brother is pronouncedly bisexual and has had sexual relationships with men. He's now married (to a woman), but used to be very open about his lifestyle. It made me very uncomfortable. I can't promise I always handled the situation just right, but I usually just acted with acceptance. I made sure he knew my standards and beliefs, that I believed in the sanctity of marriage and sex and didn't support either homosexuality or intimacy outside of marriage, but I also made sure he knew I loved him. If he started giving me details I didn't want to hear, I would stop him but with a little humor - such as, "Whoa there [brother], I didn't need to know that" or "Hold up [brother], I'm only 12!" (or whatever age I was at the time). It seemed to work well. He gradually stopped sharing and we even reached a very pleasant agreement after a discussion about same-sex marriage. Although I didn't support his lifestyle, I got a strong feeling that he respected my beliefs just the same. Just like I loved him because he is my brother, he loved me because I am his sister.

Flying, I hope this helps you in some way! You are in a really tough situation, but the Lord will ALWAYS help you as you strive to keep His second great commandment - to love His children. All my best wishes!

Anonymous said...

It's so frustratuing for me to read posts like this! I enjoy reading your blog so much, and most of the time I think it's really great but when I read things like this it honestly makes me not want to.

(the fastest way to guarantee that the relationship will end in disaster, by the way, is living together)

To make a comment like that is just so narrow-minded and dare I say ignorant. I don't even know how you can come to such a conclusion when most people today in the UK (where I'm from) live together and never marry and it works perfectly fine for them. My parents lived together for over 30 years, and never married and that didn't end in disaster.
Sorry I know that's a total rant. I still love your blog and everything! (mostly) x

Bro Jo said...

Statistically, world wide, it's true. Couples that live together (and thus having sex with no commitment) are far more likely to break up or get divorced than couples that save sex until after they're married.

I'm sorry if it rubs people the wrong way, and yes there are exceptions, but for the most part it's true.

Thanks for sticking around. I promise if you read enough of what I write you'll find things you disagree with - I'm just that opinionated and ornery.

I DO appreciate your thoughts!

- Bro Jo

Mitch said...

Orientation is not a choice. Having feelings for a specific gender is not a choice. Falling in love with a person is a choice. Having an intimate relationship with that person is a choice. Please understand that your straight orientation was given to you at birth just like the gay orientation was given to my brother.

Bro Jo said...

I'm sorry, Mitch. I know that probably makes you feel better, but it's not true.

If anything it's a little self-serving and disrespectful towards your brother. Orientation is not a disease or a gene or a disposition. I'm sorry, it's just not.

I can say "hey, that's one good lookin' dude" and not be gay. Homosexuality is not a feeling, it's an action.

Love is not sex, and sex is not love (and that's true for gays and straights).

But, as I said in this original post, it's OK to not like or approve of what your brother does, says or feels, but you still need to love him.

- Bro Jo

Grace H. McClain said...

It's dangerous to make ultimatums about how homosexuality originated, whether it's inherent, genetic, or a choice. There is no scientific evidence or proof to claim either side.

We can NEVER know what it feels like to be another person. We can relate, but we can never truly understand--therefore, we cannot judge. Let's just focus on loving one another. Isn't that what life is about?