Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Monday, August 16, 2010

Friend Needed

Dear Bro Jo,

First off I love your site. I found out about two days ago and have been reading it ever since. I just have to ask you something.

I know you usually deal with dating questions but I want to ask you about friends.

I am 16. I just moved up into Laurels. Its so weird. There is a problem with “Clicks” in my ward ever since I was a little girl. There are only 3 other girls in my class. Two of the girls I have been rejected from them ever since I was 8. They are best friends and where always in the same classes in school and I am there same age and I am a grade younger then them. But its ok.

The other girl in my class is 17 and she was my friend ( like I would sit by her every day at seminary and we would talk at church and hang out and stuff...) until the kids that went to BYU came back home. Now its like she doesn’t want anything to do with me. Like I am not cool enough for her. This hurts. My dad thinks that she is just stuck up and thinks she is so cool because she is hangout with the older kids. But now classes are weird because I fill like I have know one who wants to be my friend. I can’t wait till my friend moves up in October.

I fill like I don’t have a best friend or even a just a friend. I have to say that I have home schooled since I was 13. I love being home schooled. I had tons of friends from Public school. Now I have had to stop being friends with many of them because they are doing things that I didn’t and wasn’t going to choose to do. Like watching bad movies and other things that I didn’t fit my standards and they were not being very good friends. So I have gone different ways with many of my old friends. I only have had one friend from my public school days that has stayed a good friend. But she just move away.

Now it fills like I have no one.

As my friend in Mia Maids. I have one friend who I have became friends with because we were the only two girls that didn’t fit into a the “Clicks”. So for the past year we have become friends, so we hang out at dances, church, and other church stuff. But with her sports, school and other stuff we don’t hang out that much out side church stuff.

I always try to be nice to the beehives and other girls in are YW. But why do people act like there your friend at church but never want to hang out or call you or want to have anything to do with you?

I am trying to friends to every one. I never try to leave any one out and I call people to hang out but there like always “busy”.

I just want a true friend.

I have to say that things are not all bad. I have been getting closer to my family. Especially my mom. My mom and I are now best friends, instead of just mom and daughter. But sometimes I fill like its not the same as having that friend who wants to be with you.

For this summer I have a friend who is staying with us and I will be staying with her till August.

What do you think I should do after that?

From,

A girl who just wants a Friend.



Dear Friend,

I invite you to gain a testimony of why we go to Church; yes, Church is social, but our purpose for going should be to worship and learn more about the Gospel. If you're the last person on Earth you should still go to Sacrament meeting.

That said, I understand the need for each of us to have some Good Friends. (Satan is very powerful when we feel alone, you know.)

I think it's smart that you're developing a close relationship with your mom, but you're also right about needing some good friends your age.

You need to expand your circle. There's lots of great people out there that aren't LDS, you know. Sure, that will be a challenge being home schooled, so get out there and get involved. Play a sport, get a job, join a book club, find a pen pal, meet your neighbors, take a fun summer class at the local rec center, take up some new hobbies.

Be proactive in meeting new people.

Not only will it help you find friends, but you'll grow as a person, too.

And as your circle expands, so will your missionary opportunities.

Invite your summer guest to do all of these things with you as well, that way when she's gone you'll still have someone to talk to.

And, by all means, go to every Church Activity, Youth Conference, Dance, etc. that you can.

Remember, to have a friend you've got to be a friend.

- Bro Jo

1 comment:

Mille said...

I can completely relate to this girl. Since the beginning of the (calendar) year, I've been essentially friendless. I'm extremely outgoing, so I have plenty of acquaintances, but when I needed a shoulder or somewhere to go hang out, there was no one. For someone who needs people so deeply, it was so hard! I felt Satan working on my testimony and my happiness very heavily. Particularly this summer, so many people would say that they wanted to hang out and then dish out the lamest excuses. I cried a LOT (and I'm not usually a crier).

The problem isn't over, but the new school year has begun for me so I'm trying to turn over a new leaf. Here are my suggestions for Friend:

1) Be happy, even if you're pretending. Look out for everyone around you. Make sure you're aware of everyone in the room and watch for anyone who needs a hand. It's exhausting when you don't get anything in return, but cry at night if you need to. Being a dependable and upbeat friend will boost others' respect for you and help you meet new people (or become closer to "old" people)!
2) Don't hold prejudices. When you are talking to someone, whether she's been mean to you or not, don't think, "Oh, she's not the type to be my friend." Beggars can't be choosers, no? :) You never know what's in store. Don't forget, people change.
3) Ask for a father's blessing. I got one from my dad before school started, and even though I haven't seen the promises yet, it is so much comfort and strength to know that the Lord has something in store for me.
4) When someone bails out on you, don't let it ruin your valuable time. Use your alone time to study for school, or your hobby, or the scriptures. Develop your talents. Do something to use your time and keep your mind from dwelling on the sadness.
5) Finally, keep a strong spiritual ground! Remember to "be still, and know that He is God" and that "this too shall pass." You've always got Someone to talk to, even though you can't necessarily hang out with Him. :) Hang in there, girl.

And here's to finding a best friend soon... for both of us. :)