Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Goin' Solo?

Dear Bro Jo,

I've written to you before. But I read where you told someone to write as often as they need to so here I am.

I just moved into a new ward and stake. I met a very nice guy who is polite to girls, asked me to dance(instead of the other way 'round) and has many qualities and talents that I like.

The problem? He is 15. and I turned 16 a few weeks ago. We both talked about how we're not that interested in dating. The thought doesn't excite us as much as when we were 12. He'll be 16 in a couple of months. And I'm not interested in dating him or anything but being his friend.

However, he is the nicest guy I've ever met. And if I ever date in high school I think I'd want to date him. I am not interested in dating, a relationship or anything else. But sometimes I feel like it would be the nicest thing in the world to have a guy to talk to. Someone like him. This is a very rambling letter and I really dislike how it turned out but I guess my main point is, how can I completely convince myself that I can get along alone, I DON'T need someone to talk to, I'm fine by myself and I don't need a relationship or even a date?

~~Trying to stay happily solo


Dear Solo -

Yeah . . . um, you and I have totally different opinions on what the problem is. Why on earth would someone as young as you are come to the conclusion that they need to "get along alone"?!?

A little less drama, please.

I see what you're doing here: you're coming up with excuses to make yourself feel better if he never asks you out; that's safer than facing the alternative. Because, let's face it, you like him, and the "age difference" is nothing.

You don't need to "convince" yourself of anything. No excuses!

Make some friends. Dance some dances. Go on some dates.

Live life!

If a guy asks you out on a Casual Group Date, don't say no because you're not ready for a life-long relationship; Go Out, have a Good Time!

If you don't get asked out as much as you'd like, use some of the things in the Notes on the Facebook Fan Page, like Bro Jo's "HOW a GIRL CAN GET a GUY to ASK HER on a DATE" and Bro Jo's "HOW a GIRL CAN GET a BOY'S ATTENTION".

And if they don't work as well as you'd like, well that's life, too.

Obsess less.

Enjoy the joy.

I know it's tough to move at your age, but give yourself a chance to make some new friends and be happy.

Oh, and BTW, Good Job on waiting for Him to ask You to dance this time!

- Bro Jo

No comments: