Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Quick Letter from a Slightly Older Sister

Dear Bro Jo,

Thanks for all the wonderful advice you give.

My reason for writing to you is on behalf of a few younger girls in my ward. To give you a brief description of myself and the situation: I'm 17 and heading off to the Y in exactly one week. As 1 of 2 older girls heading off to college, we've both tried to set a good example of dating to the younger girls. But almost all of them (15 and under) have 'dated' someone and most of the 'relationships' have ended in tears.

I'm not trying to judge any of them because I adore these girls and want them to know that waiting until their 16 to date isn't a burden but a blessing. I want them to know that following the prophet will only result in blessings for them. Not only that but I've also found that it's SO much more fun when you're old enough to actually go around and do activities. Plus, not having to worry about a serious relationship at 14 is one less stressful situation.

My friend and I plan on giving a lesson our last Sunday about dating and blessings that come with waiting but I was wondering if you could possibly just post a little reminder to all those still waiting that the wait is worth it! Although it may not seem like it, they'll understand once they get there. Thank you!

=Hopeful for Them



Dear Hopeful,

Thank you for your testimony; as we follow the prophet's council, we are sure to be blessed.

Yes, in the tears we avoid and the joy we will know, but in other often less obvious ways, too.

Sometimes all He asks of us is our obedience.

As you teach and testify, remember that teaching true doctrine will change behavior faster than teaching about behavior.

May the lord bless you in all that you do,

- Bro Jo

1 comment:

Bailey said...

I want to think you for this. I felt the same way right before I left all of my young women for the Y. Most of them I watched grow up in Primary, and seeing them go through the struggles of waiting was very difficult, especially when I knew exactly where they were coming from. I wasted most of my life as a 14, 15, & 16 year old wanting and wishing to be in a relationship instead of focusing on myself and making myself a better me so when it came time to actually step into a relationship, I'd be able to do so with confidence. Now that I'm 18, I'm having to make up for my time and build my self confidence up so I can reach a happier me.
Thank you so much for your testimony, and I hope the lesson worked out great. I hope that your young women can see the example you are trying to set and love you for caring so much about them!