Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Friday, January 7, 2011

Should you tell a future spouse if you've had sex?

Dear Bro Jo,

Okay, so I don't really know how I can put this so I might aswell just be blunt and say it (trust me I'm cringing while I write this). I had sex. I went to my bishop about it a few weeks ago. Before you say it, I know how bad it is, what a bad person I am etc. It's seriously ruined my life and not a day goes by where I don't wish I didn't do it. Anyway, it's been playing on my mind a lot recently, and I just wondered, would the fact that I'd had sex be something that I would have to/should tell my future husband? I just feel so unworthy to marry anyone at all, do you think guys will think the same?

Thanks xox



Dear Little Sister,

By virtue of being a child of God you're a good person; you did something you shouldn't have, you recognize that, and are going through a repentance process, and that's good too. Whether or not sin ruins our lives has a lot to do with what we do about it. Remorse is part of repentance. Remember, the Lord says he won't remember the sin any more, not that we'll forget it. The notion that you'll know you've repented because you won't remember what you've done is a Church myth, not doctrine in any way. It's remorse that helps to keep us from sinning like that again.

Your life isn't ruined. It may feel that way for a while, and that's okay. It IS different, though.

No, you shouldn't have, and now the way you feel is helping you understand why.

Discussing the mistakes we've made in our past needs to be part of the courting process. A potential spouse has the right to know what they're getting, especially if past events effect who we are and how we view life. A future husband, or wife, has the right to know if they're not the first person you've had sex with. (And they have the right to know how many partners, how often, as well as just how far you have gone and with whom - even if it wasn't all the way to sex .)

That doesn't mean you have to wear a scarlet letter or tell everyone you meet or every guy you date. Not at all. In fact, I don't think it should even come up until you're at the point in a relationship where you've started sharing all of your hopes, dreams and secrets. (In "Bro Jo's Guide to Relationships"   I talk about how we don't get to this step until right before we're engaged, which is Level 9 in the "Levels of a Relationship".) Until then, keep it between you, the Bishop, the Lord, and perhaps one or two intimate friends and parents as the Spirit dictates. There's no need for the world to know about your past indiscretions, and that includes your future children.

Dates, especially the first few, are NOT confessionals.

When it finally does come up, could that scare a guy off?

Yeah, it might. You have no control over that, and that's part of why you'll want to save the information until you're in a Serious Relationship. If a guy really is in love with you, if he really does want to marry you, if he really has a testimony of repentance, then he will likely still marry you. It might bother him, and that's fair. You should expect that. But better to start a marriage being open than to keep something this big of a deal a secret.

Share this information with a guy you just started dating and he'll be either be much less likely to stick around or he'll think you're telling him because you'd like to sin again, and you don't want to be thought of in that way.

If the person you're engaged to regards it as very important that they marry a virgin (and there's nothing wrong with that as a criteria) then you may not be the right person for them. Sad . . . but fair.

You're not temple worthy right now, but you can fix that.

And you should.

And you are.

Keep the faith, and keep pressing forward,

- Bro Jo

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I disagree on one point, don't tell while dating only after engagement. I was in the same situation 4 years ago (I was 17), except I had a daughter whom I gave up for adoption (it's an open adoption). When things started to get serious with a guy would tell them about my daughter and every single guy broke up with me right then and there. After the fourth time my bishop told me to not tell any guy until after he had purposed. I did as he counseled and a several months ago I met a wonderful man. I didn't tell him about my daughter until he purposed and he said that it was okay because I had repented and was worthy of a temple marriage. I would ask your bishop what he thinks would be best.

Bro Jo said...

The consequences for immorality can be difficult to overcome; that's part of the reason the Lord cautions us so strongly and frequently against it.

I'm glad you've found a good and understanding man; and even more glad that you've mended your relationship with Heavenly Father.

I suspect that your fiancé's understanding has much more to do with his quality as a person and his personal testimony of the atonement than the timing of your revelation.

Congratulations to you both!

- Bro Jo

(PS: As a person who was adopted, I'd like to personally thank you for your courage.)

Sarah said...

Something interesting about forgeting past sins. I never could understand that until I had a traumatic brain injury. 15 years of my past are completely erased and the years before that are spotty at best. It wasn't as though I had erased the chalkboard, it was as though the chalk board was destroyed ans replaced by a new dry erase white board.

It wasn't until the other day when I was lamenting this memory loss when suddenly it dawned on me that this is exactly how Heavenly Father looks at our sins after we have repented. He honestly doesn't even see a ghost of any writing on the wall. It truly is GONE! However, like Bro Jo mentioned, we don't forget them. This helps us in our repentence process, but once we have fully repented and completely done everything we need to do and cleared everything with your bishop, we need to lay our remorse to rest. If not, Satan takes up our remorse and twists it into something awful.

Keep up the good work, Heavenly Father loves you and we do too, including that special someone whomever they may be!