Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

When Push Comes to Shove

Dear Bro Jo,

I have been reading your blog and I think that your idea of guy can only ask girl on a date is a little old fashioned. Quite frankly, if it wasn't for me asking most of the time I wouldn't have any. Could it be I'm not giving them a chance?

Possibly, but we're usually friends before I ask and it always seemed like I needed to give them a shove in the right direction. Anyway, what do you think I should do? I have a really say, different personality and I'm afraid that many people get the wrong impression when they see me and are around me.

Not to mention I act really strangely around cute guys, because I'm nervous which really is quite a bother. So I tend to ask people to dance and such because I don't think they would otherwise and then since I'm also very awkward, I usually do something wrong.

One more thing, I live in a very small branch with no guys my age so if I get to go to stake dance it's rather rare.

Sincerely, Strangely Awkward



Dear Awkward,

I'm not entirely certain what you're asking my help with . . .

I don't see what having boys your age in your branch has to with stake dance attendance; if you want to meet more LDS boys your age and getting from your branch to where they're held, try getting a group together from your are to go (Church dances aren't just for members you know). You could also host a dance in your area; heck, make it a tri-stake dance and invite everyone!

I'm not sure what you mean when you describe yourself as having a "weird personality", but I can tell you that most young people feel awkward and fear doing something dumb around the opposite sex. It's actually quite normal.

The only thing "wrong" you seem to be doing is doing all the asking for dances and dates. (You don't mention if they're Casual Group Dates, but I hope they are.) It may be "old fashioned" (remind me to debate that term some day), but there are some pretty important reasons why guys should do the asking (and the calling and the pursuing). I've written about those reasons a lot, but suffice it to say that Good Guys are turned off by socially aggressive girls. It's emasculating and gives the guy the impression that the girl doing the pursuing isn't herself worth being chased.

There are of course, guys who like girls to be aggressive; they're either the kind of guy that doesn't want to put forth any effort, or the kind of guy that plans on taking advantage.  Either way, the aggressive girls come off as . . . well, "easy" (or, as I said, at the very least as not having much value).

So my advice is for girls to encourage guys to play the traditional, "old fashioned" role. No matter how weird or awkward that girl may be.  Show the boys around you that you do have value and if they're Good Guys (and Smart Guys) they'll ask you out.

- Bro Jo

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe guys should grow up and consider that "socially aggressive" or girls that are proactive are usually smarter, more ambitious, and better conversationalists. Some of them are even good at batting their eyes too.

Just because a guy likes it if a girl asks occasionally doesn't mean that they aren't worth anything either. They could be shy or oblivious or preoccupied.

Bro Jo said...

Hmmm. Clearly I've struck a nerve .(what a shock!)

Let me guess . . . are you just a tad "socially aggressive"?!?

(And perhaps a weird, but not unusual, combination of insecure and proud?)

- Bro Jo

Anonymous said...

I think every girl can relate with acting strangely or nervous around cute guys. My math teacher mixes up the seating everyday in math class, and one the second day back to school I was seated next to a REALLY cute guy. I've known who he was since 6th grade but never actually talked to him. He forgot his calculator that day, so we were kind of sharing mine. I couldn't even type in the numbers right...I finally just handed it to him. It turned out he's actually really nice and easy to talk to. You just have to get over the nervousness sometimes.

natalie palmer said...

bro jo... i definitely agree with what your saying about guys asking the girls out. its easy to say its "old fashioned" but males are the same today as they were fifty years ago... they like the chase. and that's not a bad thing, its just how they are. girls like to be persued. we like to feel wanted. guys like to feel like they have found a treasure that they had to work hard to obtain. its not old fashioned, its just how it is. fifty years ago and today. you've probably already covered this in some of you books but i just found your blog and have enjoyed reading through the discussions. i'm 28 and married with a kid and one on the way but the advice you are giving was relevent to me back when i was dating and i'm sure it still stands today. i'm actually a new author (just had my first book published) i write young adult fiction and all this work you do with young adults and relationships is fascinating to me. i love it! thanks for the good read and the good advice you're giving!

Bro Jo said...

Thank you, Sister Palmer.

- Bro Jo