Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Medical Marijuana - part 3

[Dear Readers - The topic continues. You can read Part 1 HERE and Part 2 HERE. - Bro Jo]


Dear Bro Jo,

Another question in regards to medical marijuana(not smoked but in liquid or food form). My medical condition is worsening. I have to take alot of painkillers, over 1000mg(this had damaged some of my organs and stomach, and its alot for a 17 year old to take). Which is why I am unsure about the marijuana debate. I have tried praying and searching through the scriptures. This isn't me trying to prove you wrong or anything, but just overall confused about good and bad in medicine.

In Genesis 1: 29, God says "Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be forameat."

He has puts plants and animals on this earth for our benefit. Each with a purpose. Unless Marijuana is the modern-day Tree of Knowledge in which we need to resist temptation.

In Timothy 4:1-2 (1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;),

I got out of it that this generation would take something good but use it for evil. Perhaps this is in regards to marijuana- if used properly it can help, but many people of today misuse it.
I hope that you do not see this message as one of questioning your beliefs, but one to see just how confusing it can be for a teenager in world full of contradictions (not in the gospel, but in the world).

I am confused whether what I take out of the scriptures , is what is meant. Given the scriptures, and knowledge that it will NOT be smoked. What is your opinion?

- Lost



Dear Lost,

In regards to your interpretation of scripture, the thing is, if motivated, one can string together scriptures that justify just about anything. Yes, plants and animals can be for our benefit, but that certainly doesn't mean that any plant or any animal used in any ol' way is okay. After all, alcohol comes from plants, and some glue comes from animals. Rubbing Alcohol is an effective wound cleaner, but alcohol in any form shouldn't be ingested. Glue is great for craft projects, but shouldn't be sniffed.

My opinion is the same as before: don't smoke it, be aware of addictive substances, including MJ, and consult with local priesthood leadership and your doctor.

I'm sorry you're in so much pain, and I pray for your comfort. I know that as those around watch you endure your trials, they will be strengthened by your testimony and commitment to do what the Lord would have you do. You're an example to us all!

Praying for you,

- Bro Jo

1 comment:

Laura said...

In my experience, I have found that if I'm not getting a definite good feeling answer on a question between myself and the Lord, then the answer is not the one I'm looking for.

There have been times when I was praying about something for a really long time, studying scriptures, discussing options with people, and all I felt was confusion and frustration the harder I looked. I later realized I was trying to find a "yes" answer to a question that was never going to be a "yes" if I wanted to do the right thing. And at that point, I thought I knew what the right thing for ME was, but turns out the Lord knew better - he always does. And the thing is, when I figured this out and got my answer, the answer didn't really feel like "no", it felt more like a "this is what you should do, and this is the right way." It was not what I expected at all. But I'm eternally grateful that I found it.



D&C 9:8-9

8 But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right.

9 But if it be not right you shall have no such feelings, but you shall have a stupor of thought that shall cause you to forget the thing which is wrong; therefore, you cannot write that which is sacred save it be given you from me.