Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Monday, May 21, 2012

None of the Guys Will Go on Dates!

Hey Bro Jo!

I'm a little sad about this dating thing!

I'm 17 and live in a ward and stake with limited boys old enough to date....half of them aren’t even worth talking to. (Not good guys) I have a few really good guy friends who can date and a brother my age...BUT NONE OF THEM WILL ASK ANY GIRLS!

I'm a good girl and I'm nice and funny! (at least that’s what I think;)) And I'm not fat and ugly!

What’s wrong with them or is it me?

I'm also home schooled (I'm not one of those strange unsocial home schoolers, I'm a cool one..and I'm very outgoing!) and so I don't have any guys outside of my stake or ward to go out with....I want to go on dates, but I'm not going to ask. HELP!

-Seriously Confused




Dear Seriously,

It's them.

It's them and their parents and their leaders all failing to understand the importance of Casual Group Dating for boys AND for girls.

You're right, you absolutely should not do the asking, but there are a few things you can do. Firesides, dances, game nights, movie parties, anything that helps the guys be more comfortable around you and your girlfriends will help. And talk to the adults, too. Tell them how you feel. On our Facebook Fan Page you can find things like "Bro Jo's How a Girl Can Get a Guy to Ask Her on a Date"  that might be helpful, too.

But in the end, if none of these guys ask you out, just know that you're in good company.

Because of the pathetic-ness of guys, even good ones, and their lack of training, many of the best girls never go on dates at your age. Dating, despite what girls often believe, has nothing to do with their beauty or value or self-worth.

That, little sister, comes from God.  You have all of those things even if you're never around a boy smart enough to ask you out.

- Bro Jo

No comments: