Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Monday, December 9, 2013

A Mac Monday: Snail Mail

[Dear Readers,

Instead of this Month's "Cheesy Wednesday", I give to you a "Mac Monday" - enjoy!

- Bro Jo]


Dear Bro Jo,

Hi!

I merely have a quick query for you.

About a month ago, I was in Utah to attend a session of EFY with Cheese.

She was determined that I would have at least one dating experience while there, so she set me up with a great guy we'll call Mike.

Both of us really enjoyed spending the evening together, under casual group dating settings of course, and later in the week he called me via Cheese's phone to ask for my number.

It was Cheese's suggestion that he do that, I think, but I still thought it was really nice and cute.

In any case, once he had it, he texted me and asked if I'd have any time to hang out again before leaving to head back East.

I did, and we had one more casual group date before my plane home, equally fun as the last one.

My question revolves around how to stay in contact with Mike, as I would really enjoy getting to know him better.

Our ages, by the way- I am 17, a senior in high school, and he is 19 and waiting on his mission call.

We have texted intermittently since I returned home, but that really doesn't seem like a good mode of communication.

Cheese suggested writing a letter.

I know that you encourage letter-writing, so I was just looking for your perspective on this.

Mike already mentioned that it would be nice for me to write him while on his mission, so would it be weird to send a letter in the intervening time?

Is good old-fashioned snail mail the best way to go here?

Or should I hold off until he's on his mission, lest I appear overeager?

Thanks!

- Mac




Dear Mac,

Good 'ol Cheese!

I think a full-blown letter might come across as over-eager.

Start with a card. Happy Birthday.

Congratulations on your mission call (or some other event).

Include your address and a short note that says "I'd love to get a letter from you".

And then let it go.

If he texts you (man, I hate texting - have you noticed?) asking what that's all about, simply repeat the request: "I'd love to get a letter from you".

I think it will work, and you're going to love how much more personable letters are.

Keep me "posted" - HA!

- Bro Jo

No comments: