Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Friday, July 24, 2015

Getting Him to Ask You Out When You're Not Good at Flirting

Dear Bro Jo,

Hi bro Jo :-)

I am a 20 year old gal living in Provo, Utah, attending BYU and a YSA ward.

I have had problems in the past with letting people get close to me.

My parents divorced when I was very young and I believe my fear of getting close to people stems from that.

However, I am getting much, much better about it.

Anyways, I met this fella in my ward and I think he's really great.

However, because he works at the MTC and is going to summer school full-time, I rarely see him around.

About the only time I see him every week is at sacrament meeting.

I want to get to know him better and I want to get him to ask me out, but I hardly see him.

How do I go about this without being awfully forward?

I feel like I'm always either TOO forward or not forward enough, and I can't ever seem to find the right balance.

And I stink at flirting, so that probably doesn't help much.

I appreciate your advice in advance. :)

Sincerely,

- An over-thinker




Dear Over,

If you're not willing to be at least a little forward, you're only hope is to have a friend talk to him on your behalf.

Don't dismiss it! It worked in elementary school; it will work now.

Just have a friend go up to him and tell him that she thinks you'd like to go out with him and get to know him better.

If he seems like he's interested then she encourages him to ask you out.

Simple.

Effective.

- Bro Jo

No comments: