Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Monday, July 6, 2015

Scared and Alone: Part 6 of 15: Be Not Afraid

Dear Bro Jo,

For some reason I find it easier talking to someone anonymously, than I do someone I’m close to. I'm not as afraid of your reaction. I probably won't be making that call for a while. . . I may text my Young Women’s leader, but maybe not, because I have to see her tonight at Church.

- Scared




Dear Scared,

Seeing her tonight at Church is EXACTLY why you should call her!

What a great opportunity for you to start feeling better today!

(And, you're right; one of the reasons I think "Dear Bro Jo" works is because there's an element of comfort in talking to someone you don't know . . . even someone as ornery as me!)

- Bro Jo




Dear Bro Jo,

Talking to you has actually helped a lot. Seeing her tonight at Church is EXACTLY the reason I shouldn't call her!

If I called her today, there is no way I would go to church tonight.

Also, there is no way I could call her, but I would text her.

- Scared




Dear Scared,

What is it you're afraid of?

- Bro Jo




Dear Bro Jo,

I am afraid of letting out my feelings, my thoughts and i'm afraid of her reaction.

Throughout my life, I've learned to keep everything to myself and it's hard trying to make myself go against that and let it out.

Also, I can't stand hurting those I love and seeing her will be hard.

She's told many people I was her other daughter and I just can't do it.

- Scared




Dear Scared,

How do you think she'll feel when she learns that you were hurting and needed help but didn't come to her?

- Bro Jo




Dear Bro Jo,

Don't say that. . . you're going to make me feel guilty for not going to her. I'm not hiding it from her to hurt her, i'm hiding it from her because i'm scared.

Hopefully IF she ever finds out, she will understand.

- Scared




Dear Scared,

If you're old enough to make your own decisions, and I believe you certainly are, then you're old enough for the Truth and Consequences of those actions (be they good or bad).

I can't "make you" feel bad; you feel bad because you're beginning to confess and understand.

No one is an island, little sister. 

What we do, or don't do, say or don't say, effects the lives of others.

The point is not for you to feel guilty, but to realize that other people love and care for you.

If she doesn't find out in this life, she'll certainly know in the next one.

Rather than keep from her the blessings that come from helping someone she cares for (that's you!), let her know those blessings!

Give her the chance to help someone who needs it, someone for whom she cares for so much.

(The Savior's that way, too, you know.)

- Bro Jo

No comments: