Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Monday, September 14, 2015

Does Having a Particular Calling Get You More Dates?

Dear Bro Jo,

I'm 20 years old and was recently called to be Relief Society President in my singles ward.  Holla to the RS!

And when I called and talked to my sister she assured me that I would get all the dates because how can a RS President not be date-able?

And I found myself agreeing with her.

Fast forward to general conference weekend when I'm chatting with a boy in the ward who tells me straight to my face that Relief Society Presidents are 'unapproachable'.

I've only been on a few dates in my life, and never in a relationship, and I'd really like to, even if it doesn't eventually lead to marriage.

I want to date to DATE (and eventually marry, of course).

I want to get to know boys and reaffirm some self-worth.

It just seems like the longer in college I am, the less date-able I am becoming.

I don't even know what my question is . . .

How can I fulfill my calling but not be 'too much'?

And basic dating advice really, for girls.

Am I allowed to make a move?

Sincerely,

- The Prez




Dear Prez,

One guy's opinion does not an axiom make.

Fulfilling one's calling and being of service to others (same thing, really) is never "Too Much".

The column page is FULL of Dating advice, as are the Facebook page and Books.

I'm not entirely certain what you mean by "make a move", but I advocate NOT HANGING OUT and rather BEING DATABLE.

And I certainly think that Talking to Others, Being Flirty, and Encouraging Guys to Ask You Out are all good ideas.

I'm also a fan of The Set Up Game, and recommend it, especially to sisters.

One thing to definitely avoid, is any talk about how you want to delay marriage.

Doesn't matter what for.

Don't go around being desperate and begging for dates and saying how you want to get married RIGHT NOW (not that you are), but present yourself as someone who's open to the possibility should the right guy come along.

Oh! And whatever you do, never come across as "I'm awesome because of the calling I have".

- Bro Jo

No comments: