Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Monday, September 7, 2015

Scared and Alone - Part 15 of 15: Taking Note of Spiritual Things

[Dear Readers,

Final post in this series.  Again, colors used to make the conversation easier to follow,

Best,

- Bro Jo]


Dear Bro Jo,

I believe in God, but I don't know how to explain who He is to me.

- Scared




Dear Scared,

Do you believe, as I do, in God the Father, His Son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost? 

I believe that they exist, that the Father is the Father of my Spirit, that the Son atoned for our sins, and that the Spirit communicates things that I'm supposed to know.

- Bro Jo


I do believe that.


Where does that belief come from?


I guess because we wouldn't have life without it and those around me always say it.


So, not to put words or question, but to come to understanding, are you saying that you believe in God because you know that without Him we wouldn't have life?

Are you saying that He is the Creator of all things? (I'm not that interested at this point in what others say; I want to know what you think, say, know and believe.)


Yeah, I guess that's pretty much what I'm saying.


Now, I happen to agree with you, but tell me, please, without relying on the words or testimonies of other people, how do YOU, dear sister, know? 

What is it inside you, that you've seen, felt or observed, that makes that so?


That's gonna be a problem. . I don't know. 

There have been times when I've felt and seen things that have made me feel that way and things have happened that couldn't have other wise happened, but I can't honestly explain it.


Can you give me an example of a time when you felt something? Saw something?


I can't really think of an example off the top of my head, but things have happened.


I have no doubt that they have. (I think this is one of the reasons we're advise to keep a journal, btw.) 

Can we try something? 

As you go through today, will you look for things? 

See if there are any times when random good or thoughtful thoughts come to you. 

Anything. Like: "hey, I should go see how that person is doing" or "oh, yeah, that's the answer to that" or anything good that happens. 

And can you just keep a little list of those things for you and I? 

It doesn't matter how small they might be. 

And, certainly, if a bigger something comes up, write that too. 

For example: I just bought some City passes for Sister Jo and I for a City we're going to visit next week. I forgot to put in the Discount Code that I had gotten in an email when I was making the purchase. After the purchase I remembered the email. Then I "felt" that I should try emailing the company that sells the passes and ask if we could still get the discount. This morning I got an email saying that we could have the discount. 

Stuff like that is fine. 

Will you do that today, please? Write that kind of stuff down?


I don't really keep a journal and never have, but I'll try.


It doesn't have to be a journal - just a list of notes the idea is that you notice things like that today so that we can talk about them later.


I'll try.


Do.

- Bro Jo


[Dear Readers,

I haven't heard back from "Scared and Alone".  I hope that she did the exercise and realized that everyday Heavenly Father watches out for her, that so many things around us testify of God and that the Atonement of His Son is for all of us.

Like this young sister, each of us has seen His goodness and felt of His Spirit; it's just that the world and many things in it are trying to make us forget.

Each of us is loved, no matter what we think or do, regardless of the mistakes we make.  We can all repent and feel good again.

That's the message of the Gospel of Jesus Christ:  joy!

God bless all of you,

- Bro Jo]


No comments: