Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Casual Group Dating for the Non-licensed Drivers

G'day Bro Jo,

This question technically no longer affects me, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

When going on a casual group date, is it ok to ask your parents to drive you and your group around? The reason I ask is because in this part of Australia people can't drive unsupervised until they turn 18 (which I recently did, hence it no longer affecting me) and our public transport is about as good as a mud hut for shelter during a tsunami- it's often late and doesn't always get you where you need to go without several changes.

I just can't see how youth are going to get around with dodgy public transport and can't drive themselves.

Thanks,

The Admiral




G'day, Admiral,

I see no problem with parents or an older friend / neighbor / Church member / sibling helping with the transportation; I think it's a great idea!

Just so long as the chauffeur doesn't allow back-seat tonsil hockey . . .

Of course, now that you're a licensed driver, the chauffeur may be you!

Great question.

- Bro Jo

1 comment:

J-Dawg Fluffy said...

"Just so long as the chauffeur doesn't allow back-seat tonsil hockey . . . "

When I was younger, I had a girlfriend who lived about an hour away. I didn't have a car, so I got rides from either her mom or mine, and my mom would always tell us that she needed to be able to look in the mirror and see daylight between us.