Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Monday, January 16, 2012

Is She a Groupie?

Dear Bro Jo,

There's this boy in my stake (We'll call him Jamie) that pretty much every single girl is mooning after. If he were a musician, they would be his groupies. Seriously. He's the stake crush. He has every quality every teenage girl wants in a guy. I first heard his name in a cabin at Girls' Camp. And then, at a dance a few weeks ago, I asked him to dance during a girls' choice song (not knowing who he was). After talking to him for a little while, I, like every other girl in the stake, have a huge crush on him. There's just a little problem.

I've always had a problem getting a boy's attention (which I have come to terms with, thanks to your blog!). I don't even think there's a word for how boy-repellant I am. They don't see me as a girl, as a friend, as potential dating material, nothing. I don't register on their radar. Which I'm working on changing.

So how do I get to know Jamie? And an even bigger question: Is he out of my league? Should I just not even bother? He could have any girl he wants at this point, and I'm below every single one on the food chain.

He's a nice guy to have as a friend even if he doesn't see me "That Way."

How do I get to know him better? How can I keep up a conversation with a guy? I'm turning sixteen in a few months, and I really need advice on this one.

Sincerely,

Just another Groupie?



Dear Groupie,

The best way to get to know someone is to talk to them. The challenge is, because you’re a girl and he's a guy, if you over pursue him (initiating contact through phone calls, emails, chats and texts) you'll no doubt kill the chances of him ever liking you (unless he's not a Good Guy, in which case you don't want him to like you anyway).

I have no idea if you "repel" guys; unless you're really aggressive, like I mentioned above, I doubt it.

Go to our Facebook Fan Page and check out:  Bro Jo's "HOW a GIRL CAN GET a BOY'S ATTENTION" for some things that might help.

- Bro Jo

No comments: