Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Monday, June 10, 2013

Is 19 Too Young for Her to Get Married?

Dear Bro Jo,

I'm 19 and I'm in a relationship with someone incredible.

We've been dating about a year now, since I met him at the university we're attending.

Our relationship is heading quickly towards an engagement. I know this is the person I want to marry and spend eternity with.

The only problem is that everyone (and by everyone, I mean my parents, Church leaders, elders, etc.) keep telling me that 19 is too young to get married; To wait until I'm 21, 22...

Some have gone as far as to say that it's a lot more likely that my marriage will end up in divorce or separation if I get married so young. They've even supported themselves with legit scientific studies and statistics.

I'm really at a cross roads, because I know this is the person I want to marry. But I don't want to wait a year or two. I feel like that's just reckless, because Satan is only trying to keep us from a temple marriage, and it gets harder every day that we spend together and get closer to each other to behave appropriately. Not that we've done anything we shouldn't, but you know- the passion and temptation is definitely there.

Anyway, my point is- is it really that detrimental to my future to get married at 19?

Is it really that big a deal?

I want to do things the right way and I really don't see how a couple years is going to change the nature of our relationship, except to give us more room for error.

Sincerely,

Too Young?




Dear Old Enough,

You don't mention where you're from, or if there are some cultural reasons people are telling you to wait, but in general I say no, 19 is not "too young" for a young woman to marry.

I consider maturity and commitment more important than age.

Now, perhaps that's what the people who love you are trying to tell you, in an albeit too indirect way: that you're too immature to marry. I don't know you, so I have no idea, but a mature woman would certainly give prayerful ponderance to something so many people who do know her are saying.

You may need to just come out and ask these people what's wrong with this guy; if they're seeing something you don't, you better find out soon. (I hope they love you enough to tell you the truth, even if you don't want to hear it.)

As for the statistics . . . I tend to agree with Mark Twain’s sentiment.

I believe in long courtships and short engagements.

A couple should date long enough to know each other well, ask each other the big questions (see "Bro Jo's List of Stuff You Need to Know Before You Get Engaged"), and feel confident that you've looked for any serious danger signs (see "Bro Jo's Five A's of Why Not to Marry THAT Person" in "Bro Jo's Guide to Relationships").

But you're totally correct; once a couple decides to get married, I say pull the trigger fast before the Temple is no longer an option. You will both definitely change over the next couple years, nothing you can do about that.

 Change is constant. But I agree, if you're truly informed and ready to marry now, 19 is not too young.

 - Bro Jo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Twenty three years ago when I was 19 I married an amazing man in the temple over the vehement objections of my entire (non-LDS) family. They couldn't understand why anyone would choose such a "reckless" path. My father asked "Why can't you just live together for a few years instead of making such a drastic choice?"

Now they understand. After much prayer and consideration I knew what the right decision was for me and I'm happy I followed through with what Heavenly Father wanted me to do even in the face of a lot of opposition. What is right for you may or may not be getting married to this person, but once you know what you ought to do you will never regret following the guidance of the Spirit.

--Mama Cheese