Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Monday, June 3, 2013

Should She Not Go On a Mission So Her First Temple Experience is with Her Husband?

Dear Bro Jo,

I am an 18 year old girl considering going on a mission when I turn 19.

I can't make that decision right now because I want to see where I’m in life at that time before making the decision.

Right now I’m torn about it because there are certain things said in my patriarchal blessing that make me believe I’m supposed to serve a mission.

But the one main thing that makes me not want to go is that I’ve always wanted to have my fiancé take me through the temple when I receive my endowments.

If I serve a mission then I won't have that experience that I’ve always wanted.

Is this a silly reason to not want to go on a mission?

Is there much of a difference?

I don't know a lot about endowment sessions but for some reason I’ve always wanted the man I’m marrying to take me through the Temple.

But I would also like to serve a mission.

Am I being irrational?

Thanks in advance for reading this!

Sincerely,

Hopeless Romantic




Dear Romantic,

When you go through the Temple for the first time, even if it’s when you're getting married, your fiancé doesn't really "take you through the Temple"; the part of the endowment of which you may have been told about regarding a husband and wife going through part of the Temple together still happens even if you’re getting sealed after years and years of going through the Temple.

It's sacred, it's special, and it's cool . . . and it can happen any time.

So, yes, if you're supposed to go on a mission, that's a pretty silly reason not to.

But it's a good question, and I'm glad you asked!

- Bro Jo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seriously, go. You won't regret it. You have the option. Take it. Run with it. I'm here and I can't go on a mission through no fault of my own. Health prevents me. Also through personal revelation, I know I'm not supposed to. I don't know why, I just know I'm not supposed to. But I want to go through the temple so badly. I'd give anything to go. I even know girls my age who have gotten to go through without getting married or going on a mission. Two different bishops have told me I have to wait. While I understand why I would need to wait, I don't get why *I* have to and others don't.
But you don't have to wait. You can go on a mission. DO IT, you won't regret it. I haven't gone through the temple yet, but I know it is one of the most important things you will get to do in your life.
So pray about it. And if you feel a mission is what you should do, then go. Go.