Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Monday, August 26, 2013

How Much of a "Relationship" Before He Leaves on a Mission is Too Much?

Dear Bro Jo,

I love your blog and I read it all of the time. I have a question.... Ready? :)

Well I have a boy who is more than a friend who is going on a mission in 3 months. We kind of have a weird relationship.

We met at EFY this summer and we really liked each other. We talk, text, call, or Skype all the time, because he doesn't live by me...

Well I really like him and he really likes me. I can support your comment that girls and guys can't remain friends because I thought we were just friends and one day I realized that I really really like him.

My mom found out that I was talking to him almost every day and she says that I shouldn't be talking to him all the time because he is going on a mission soon.

So anyway my question is ... am I distracting him while he is getting ready from a mission??

I am always supporting him going on a mission and we talk about it all the time. He can't wait!

I am so excited for him.

I am not waiting for him.

He made me promise that I would date other guys.

I promised I wasn't planning on waiting for him, like I wouldn't date any other guy when he is gone. I said I would love to date him when he gets back, because I am sure that I won't be married, when he gets back.

I haven't dated a lot of guys, so I want to date a lot of guys before I want to get married. I said that I would write him on his mission, and I really want to.

But I don't want to be in the way of him getting ready for a mission.

Thanks,

- A Girl Who Likes A Boy Going On A Mission.




Dear Girl,

I don't see anything you're doing that I would call a distraction other than I agree with your mom:  you're communicating a bit too much, and should back it down a bit.

That might make things a lot easier for the both of you when you're down to letters only . . .

But other than that it sounds like you're on track.

Thanks for reading and writing in.

- Bro Jo




 Dear Bro Jo,

Thank you so much!

- Girl





Dear Girl,

Anytime!

 - Bro Jo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with bro jo. It's nice to be that friend of a guy before their mission that is always there for them, but it is hard to go from talking or emailing every day to maybe just a letter or two a month. One thing I found that helps is to focus on the work that they are doing there, and not what they could be doing. As you focus on the devotion to the Lord, both of you will grow.

Anonymous said...

"I haven't dated a lot of guys, so I want to date a lot of guys before I want to get married." That's unfair to guys you meet when you're in college that want to date you. Lots of guys don't date a lot as it is. Why would they want to spend time and money on a girl that they don't have a chance to be boyfriend girlfriend with? It's ok to want to date a lot of guys. But don't date them just to make a tally of guys you go out with. If you find a good nice guy and he's number 1 or 2 in your tally then be open to being his girlfriend. Don't lead him on simply because you want to have a tally of 10-30 guys who take you on a date before you decide that you want to be a girlfriend.