Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Trying "The Setup Game"

Dear Bro Jo,

I don't remember if you told me about this in an email or if I read it in a blog or book.

My roommate and I have decided to take your roommate challenge to set each other up on dates.

We are tired of waiting around for these young men at BYU-I . . . we have decided to take this into our own hands!

We are excited to give this a try.

Thank you,

- Trying


Dear Trying,

I know I mentioned it in an email reply to you last November. 

We called it "The Set-up Game".

Good luck!

Let me know if I can help in any way.

- Bro Jo




Dear Bro Jo,

Well it kinda backfired on us on Wednesday.

- Trying


Dear Trying.

What happened?

And how many girls are participating?

- Bro Jo




Dear Bro Jo,

Right now it’s me my 5 friends.

My roommate tried to set me up with my home teacher.

Later that day he came over and told me that he was too good for me and that I am not worth his time.

Can I just say I am 20 years old?  He is 26 almost 27 and STILL SINGLE at BYU-I (I'm not saying anything is necessarily wrong with him just that he should be putting more effort in to dating and finding a wife.)

So this happened Thursday night.

Earlier that week I had broken it off with my best friend (my ex that we keep going back to each other).

I know that it is not fair to either of us, but now it kills me because I can’t turn to him.

But I’m handling that part.

So anyway him telling me that totally crushed me.

I am trying to keep my head up and not be discouraged with guys up here.

- Trying


Dear Trying,

He literally said "I know we're supposed to go out tonight, but I'm too good for you"???

- Bro Jo




Dear Bro Jo,

Not that we were supposed to go out . . . just that I’m not worth his time.  

- Trying


Dear Trying,

That’s what he said?  "You are not worth my time"???

- Bro Jo




Dear Bro Jo,

Yes.

- Trying


Dear Trying,

What a jerk!

And, well . . . then clearly he's wrong . . .  no wonder he's still single!

And you, little sister, are a Daughter of God, and as such have value that he could not possibly understand nor be worthy of Fret not; the "Set-up Game" works, don't give up

- Bro Jo




Dear Bro Jo,

Don't worry Bro Jo . . . I am not giving up.

Just momentarily discouraged.

But I’m back on track.

He came over to home teach today.

That was for sure awkward.

- Trying


Dear Trying,

You're a nicer person than I am; I wouldn't have let him in the house.

Let me know how the "game" works for all of you as you continue to "play".

- Bro Jo




Dear Bro Jo,

I had to be the bigger person.

I just sat there and stared out the window.

- Trying


Dear Trying,

Nothing else you could do, I suppose.

But worry not.

There are lots of guys out there, and this will come back to haunt him some day.

Trust me.

It always does.

- Bro Jo

No comments: